Death Of An Old Friend

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As we enter or are well into our senior years, probably most of us have experienced the death of an old friend.

Other than those who were killed in the line of duty, when I was a paramedic, this is the first that I am aware of that I have lost someone my own age or younger. Given that I haven't lived within a thousand miles of my hometown since I was in my early 20s, I have probably lost friends whose death I was never aware of, however.

Today, I learned of the death of an old friend, one who I was very close to at one time but whom I haven't spoken to in almost fifty years.

During my junior and senior years in high school, my best friends were Bob Filler and Don Salewski, and we all attended different schools in different towns. I went to Stephenson High School, Don was in Menominee High School, and Bob attended Marinette Catholic Central High School.

Somehow, we ended up together, and I don't remember how that came about; friends of friends, probably, because I knew quite a few people in Menominee and Marinette from Boy Scouts, although neither Bob nor Don was in Boy Scouts.

Because Bob had a job as a DJ at a radio station, he was able to get an apartment in Marinette long before the rest of us were ready to go out on our own, so that became a place to hang out. At that time, DJs could play whatever they wanted to play during their show. As a consequence, he was frequently receiving promotional albums. The records and albums sent to radio stations were of a better quality vinyl than the ones you could buy in the store because they were made to be played over and over, and he was able to keep the ones that were sent to him at the station, so he had everything imaginable, including a lot of stuff that we'd never heard of.

A lot of people were in and out of that apartment but when everyone else went home, there were usually just the three of us.

A lot of stories that I tell, to others, or just playing them out in my head, come from Bob Filler's apartment. He was a friend unlike many of the others that I had at that time in that I didn't have to pretend to be anyone other than who I was around him. Those were good times.

When I moved to Southern California, I stayed with Bob Filler and his sister, Patty, who was then working as assistant managers of an apartment complex owned by Mrs. See of See's Candies.

When Bob decided to move back to Wisconsin, I took Bob's job over for a time, because it required two people. His sister and I worked that job together until we were both able to find others.

When Bob left California, forty-three years ago, I never saw him again. We spoke on the phone a few times, then we lost touch.

At one time, I tried to locate him. I found someone by that name who was involved in community theater in Green Bay, but I didn't think it was him so I never tried to make contact. From the obituary, I can see that it was him, and I wish I had.

It seems that his death shouldn't make any difference to me because I would have never heard from him again anyhow, but it does. Although it is unlikely that I would have ever found a way to contact him, that fact that it is now too late saddens me.

He died on August 2, but I just learned of it today, as he was buried today, on his birthday. He was six days older than me.

I decided to post this as a thread because I'll probably tell some stories here in the near future. A couple that I have already told are here and here.

bob-filler-1.png

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry about your friend, Ken. And yeah, we're getting to that age.

This reminds me that a few months ago I was reading an obituary for the mother of an old friend, Paul, who was best man at my wedding to my first husband many years ago. In the obit, I was shocked to see "preceded in death by her husband and her son, Paul." I had no idea that Paul had died; he's been gone for nearly 20 years and I was as surprised and saddened as if it happened today. Paul was my ex husband's best friend and we had many stories and "adventures" in our youth.

Sort of weird how we still feel a connection to people who were a part of our lives so many years ago.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Had we both stayed in the same part of the country, we'd have probably remained friends.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It is sad that we lose contact, I guess we all know how you feel @Ken Anderson

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday was the day to die I guess. My 2nd BFF died yesterday morning at around 10:10 am ..on the 10th.
    She was my boss at one time, then turned friend for over 40 years.
    I knew her death was coming, but still is never easy.
    We lost our other female Musketeer over a year ago.
    Everything went wrong yesterday, but her death was the worst of the day by comparison.
    @Ken Anderson ..sorry for your loss, its never easy knowing we are right behind them.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    What a horrible time we are going through on here, too much sadness around us this year
    My thoughts will be with all ...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So sorry for your loss, Gloria.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.