Windows 10 Updates

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Joanna Newton, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've read people all around the web have been having this problem from Windows 10 updates: black screen- but none of the fixes I've found have produced results.

The PC itself seemed to be working fine- fan running, light on, etc.
    The monitor seemed to be working- monitor logo flickering.
    In other words, doing everything it normally does EXCEPT the PC logo does not come onto the monitor, like the two components do not connect.

Checked cables- ok.
    Checked power cords- ok.

What is wrong with the PC- and is there a fix that will actually work?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's what I hated about Windows. With every update, there was that fear. Unfortunately, I can't help you with it, however.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

black screen happens to mine without my updating anything but I have had problems with this chromebook since I got it. Touching OUTSIDE the touch pad with my wrist, or anything can make it do things I don't intend, like screwing with my posts here. It erases some after a long article, posts without letting me finish, takes out parts of the

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

See?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First thing to remember, after an update is done, whether an "Auto Defrag" is set or you have to do it yourself, the system has to be defragged to keep everything in order.

A Windows 10 update changed my Photos area (where I upload photos from our iPhones) three times. First time, I had no problem at all editing any photos, but that changed (some) with one update. After another update, any photos taken on our iPhones would automatically go into computer Photos area. Didn't have to upload at all. Then, after another update, that "automatic" stopped and I had to go back to uploading again.

I've learned that a Windows update can do that, and, unless you go back to a previous windows 10, have to keep the changes.

I downloaded Windows 11 to my wife's laptop and have learned how to use it. Easy for me now.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I am so fed up with Windows 10 and this OneDrive. I can't view any of my movie projects from Windows 7 (WLMP) on Windows 10. :mad: I would have to convert them meaning buy software. And this OneDrive is a pain for lack of language I want to use.:rolleyes: Ughhhhh.

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A quoted howto because I am not that smart "
    The project files from earlier versions of Movie Maker (2010 to 2012) should open fine on the newest version of Movie Maker 2012.

Do you get a message saying it can't open the project file? Or does it open the project and not show any video?

Remember, a project file is not a movie file. The project file contains the current editing state of your project. That means it remembers which clips you added, where you trimmed those clips, what transitions and effects you applied, etc. But the project file doesn't actually contain any video, photos or music.

A project file is more like a blueprint or a recipe telling how to put things together. But it relies on the source files (videos, photos and music) being in the specified location on your computer. So if you take a project file from one computer to another (without the accompanying source files) you'll end up with a project that shows the timeline but with a yellow triangle with an exclamation for each media item.

If that is what you are seeing, you need to copy the original source files from the Windows 7 PC to the Windows 10 PC. You may also need to double-click on one of the problem clips and navigate to the location on your computer so it can relink them with the project.

To prevent this problem in the future, don't forget to finish your project as a movie. That movie can be passed from computer to computer without needing any of the source files. And if you do need to transfer a project file, you'll have manually transfer copies of all the videos, photos and music too, or else the project won't open fully.
    "
    Sounds like you need to just move your projects to win 10 and you should be able to watch them and finish any or all editing. You might have to make sure you can access win 7 on your home network. Win 10 does not use the same network group name as win 7 but still should see win 7 so you can move to win 10. I was never able to have a smooth transition with win 10 and 7 because of the change, but I am still able to see both systems in each system. If you can do that you should have no trouble moving items to either system. Moving the projects does not remove them from win 7 it just moves to 10 and you have a new copy on 10. Same with any system.

OneDrive is Microsoft's free cloud storage and take a moment to open it up and write down your password so you have it available when you need it. You should be able to get inside your folders. I haven't touched mine for a year or more but still have access.

This morning I had to remove my malwarebytes protection due to them making major changes last week in their latest update. It is nothing but trouble now and starts a scan each time you boot, it makes a system drop to it's knees. I have had it since 2013 and bought a lifetime update so I think in the grand scheme of things they are trying to force ably make lifetime users like myself to get mad enough to uninstall. I did uninstall because I can reinstall any time I like but for now I just turned defender back on until I make up my mind if I want to continue using it or buy another brand. After the first I might just go ahead and buy another brand. You should have total control of any antivirus such as when to scan. Nothing makes me madder than having some idiot I never met take control of my computers. I'm not going to stand for it. So far I have not found a way to turn that scan off.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I know very little about it but can you move your files from Windows 10 to Google Drive or to a flash drive?

I have been doing a lot of work using flash drives and am finding them pretty useful. It’s just a drag and drop thing and I can move music files from one location to another and on other platforms easily.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

They have large storage sticks today for like 3 or 4 dollars each. Just two years ago I was paying like 16 dollars for like 32 gb. I need to buy a box full of those things while the price is cheap because I have so much stored on my good drives it just makes the drives useless because non installed storage is large.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I think you are missing something in this long list. You could watch those movies on win 7, because the support files are still there in movie maker as source files. I'm thinking maybe you don't have the source on win 10 when you move the files. I would try a free movie viewer and see if one of those would work on win 10. First try this one, it does not cost and can play just about everything known to mankind. There are others but I won't waste space. Just see if VLC can open the movies. I don't know the 3 letter file identifier for movie maker but it won't hurt to try this viewer. There could be an online viewer for movie maker you might search for that. Check what version of movie maker you have on win 7 and note the above info for win 10 version, I did not look to see when this information was written so there could be another later version for win 10 other than the one listed in this list above.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

12. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I see that win 10 has a new app included, it is Photo and Video Editor which replaces the old Movie Maker. Movie Maker was not included after Jan 2017 according to what I read this morning. What file identifier is shown on your movies.

13. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

OK I have the list to the wayback machine and have the installer from microsoft for windows last Windows Essentials which has the win 10 installer for Movie Maker and a couple other programs that can be selected for install to win 10. I opened the installer and it appears to be clean, no malware found with this AVG I installed this morning. I took it from a forum which had the link from microsoft and shared it. If you want to install you will have movie maker on win 10 and of course there are no more updates since it was discontinued a long time ago, but at least you can watch what you have and possibly just convert or record and save in a normal player. Let me know if you want the link. It is wayback machine and the download is served without any browsing, at least it was for me since I am on win 7 at this time. I don't have my windows 10 connected at this time to give it a try. One win 10 I have the ram out of it placed into this other windows 10 system that I am waiting for the power supply to repair it. This is probably what you need to continue working with the video without spending money. Photo and video editor is the new replacement so you can just use it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

VLC is what I have been using. It works on everything else but not for the .WLMP files.

15. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Try this windows essential pack and install movie maker to win 10. The download starts so you don't need to search for anything, Run the exe and the windows installer will give you a choice of what you want to install.

https://web.archive.org/web/2017011...A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.