Did You Ever Have A Teacher Show A Personal Interest In You?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Miss Carmichael my 8th and 9th grade Social Studies teacher took special interest in me. She offered and I accepted doing odd jobs for her for which she paid me a dollar per hour ( This was 1947. She lived with her aged father in a large old Victorian house in Oakland,Ca. I washed her 1940 Ford coupe even though I did not yet drive. I dusted and polished her antique furniture and vacumed her many rugs. I cleaned out the bath tub that her pet chicken lived in. A little ecentric? Some how she knew that I lived in a apartment with my mother just 15 minutes away on my bicycle. I stayed in touch with her through my military service, marriage, college, careers.
    She purchased a nice Single Premium Tax Shelterd Annuity from me when I was working in Financial Sales & Services. I had great satisfaction with the knowledge that I helped this lovely persons retirement, although I doubt she needed it. Gladys almost made it to age 100 and passed on a year short.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not interested in me, but I sure liked my typing teacher. Had her for three years. To me, she was really, really good looking. But, her husband was my Speech and Drama teacher.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a 7th grade Introductory Physical Science teacher who was a fresh college grad. She was short and cute. Her name was Wallingford. She knew how the adolescent schoolboys felt about her.

We called her "Wally Baby" (short for Wallingford), influenced by a cartoon on TV called Wally Gator. She was cool about it.

To this day, when I measure out a liquid ingredient as I cook and make sure to read it at the meniscus, I think of Wally Baby, and hope she had a happy life.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a very outgoing student, into a million things, at once. Teachers recognized, I believe, that I didn't need any personal attention, because I was extremely self-motivated. As such, I never received any from my teachers, right up to the time that I graduated college.

I think these days, with pc pressures and hyper- sensitivity to teachers paying too much attention to any one student, the only students to receive personal attention are those in special programs in school systems. CYA is the name of the game.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No, but an assistant principle who was also a truant officer (in my junior high or middle school) did. He ask me why I had missed classes for October, November, and December up to the Christmas break.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My 3rd grade teacher. She was always trying to get me to do extra things. Once she even called my parents and told them I should take art lessons, downtown, on Saturday mornings. I was only 7. .Seriously? . It doesn't take talent to color within the lines. :rolleyes:

They asked me if I wanted to do it, and I started to cry, because I thought they were going to force me to go to school 6 days a week. I already had enough things you could do all by yourself.

I had her for 4th grade too. She finally gave up. :) In fairness, she was no doubt a good teacher. I just didn't appreciate the attention.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, one teacher figured out that I was a total introvert and extremely bored thus always distracted by anything other than class work. With her help I was tested and skipped nearly 2 full grades into some slots where I belonged.

In those days, we didn’t have the excuses of ADD and ADHD but if those diagnoses were made back then I would have probably been thrown on some pills by the teachers who didn’t understand that what I was being taught I already knew. It isn’t that couldn’t do the work but merely that I had already finished that work and wanted more.
    Kinda like, if I can’t have any meat on my plate, I won’t eat at all attitude.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, some very caring; others whose attention I didn't appreciate.

10. Anna Vassilian

Registered

11. Anna Vassilian

Registered

Yes, she actually set me aside one day and told me that I was not going to get away with anything anymore; consequently I graduated from high school in 6 months (in France there was only taking the final exam... you either passed or failed, there was no accumulation of grades).

12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Not in a positive way till I studied Hort one semester when I was 45.In that class I was the teachers pet,also I was the oldest one in the class.It was fun all the young students were very nice to me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, from my birth to her death, my mother.

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like one of my 3nd grade teahers who was a real back woods kick.
    She liked giving me attention especially when I was late which was often. She would ay things like " yere comes judy draggin in bout Christmus tiiimee." .
    But most teachers liked me.

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Personal INTEREST, no, but personal DISINTEREST, DEFINITELY.

Senior English, having 7 semester academic record of 4.0 clear through, English teacher failed me, no chance whatever for consideration or recourse. Because of that, I did not graduate with my class, I repeated English, got my "A", and they mailed my diploma to our house around New Years.

Miserable old bitch was known throughout the school (first in seniority) for picking at random several students the first class day for guaranteed failure, based on something never revealed. My mother had a talk with the department head, who apologized, knowing full-well of my plight, and could do nothing given her status.

Frank

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.