Did You Have Parents That Divorced?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, May 18, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My parents separated & divorced when I was 12 years old. Dad remarried when I was 15 & mom when I was 19.
    Mom divorced her second husband when I was 35 & married again when I was 42. Both of my half sisters stayed married until widowed in their 60's. I married at age 22 and was a widower at age 55.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    Divorce was most unusual in my family. My own parents remained married, only one of my dad's two brothers and two sisters was divorced, after his wife bought a rifle and practiced in the basement, telling their son she planned to kill his father. All the cousins of mine remained married. Curiously, religion was not a factor related to remaining married: the entire family was irreligious.
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Kate Ellery like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope. My parents were married for 60 years.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep... my father married 3 times... my mother was only married once...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No. My mother died when I was thirteen or fourteen, and my dad didn't remarry until I was out of high school and out of the house. His second wife was only a couple of years older than me and younger than three of my brothers. Only my younger brother was still living at home at the time, so that didn't make much of a difference. There was a step-sister from his second wife's first marriage, and they had three more kids, whom I don't really know well because I lived a couple of thousand miles away. I offended one of my half-brothers once when I referred to them as my dad's second family. I didn't mean it as an insult. It was just that none of us grew up together. I know my step-sister better than I do my half-brothers or sisters because she was old enough that I got to know her a little bit when I visited.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My parents divorced after 35 years of marriage and then remarried 2 1/2 years later. After that, we just celebrated their original wedding anniversary and just sort of ignored the "gap". No purpose in starting the count over.....

I had a fake newspaper printed up that had the headline "_______ AND ________ MARRIED. KIDS SAY 'HOORAY, WE'RE LEGITIMATE AGAIN!'"

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My parents were married
    51 years to only each other.However, I would have left him had I been her. They died within one year of each other. My hubbys parents married 60 plus years to only each other.
    She passed at 78 diabetic complications and he passed 2017 at age of 94.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell

If it's not painful or anything, or too private for prying curiosity like mine, why would you have left him?

Frank

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I will pm you

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My parents were only married 25 years when my dad died. My mother followed 7 years later. She did not remarry.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

My parents married each other three times and divorced twice before I was fifteen when my dad committed suicide. My mother remarried and was married to him for twenty years before he died of cancer. Then she just lived with the last one for almost another twenty years.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW @Chris Ladewig , what a history, it must have been traumatic for you as a child...

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

Mine were married just 18 years when my mother died!!

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, my dad fell in and out of legal lust about 3 times and also had a few live ins in betwixt. So far as my mother goes, dunno, she was out of my life by the time I hit 5 or 6 but I found out a few years ago that I have some half brothers and sisters located around the U.S.
    I do not believe for an instant that love was involved with any of their relationships. Just lust, pure and simple.

I have to admit though that I followed in that same tradition a couple of times and then I met Yvonne......

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm the youngest of four kids...…...two boys and two girls. My dad was married three times and I was the last kid of his second marriage. From what I know, my mom was only married once, to my dad. She passed away from an auto accident when I was around 7 years old. My parents sent me to live with an Aunt when I was 6 years old and that's when my dad and mom got a divorce.

Bottom Line is...…..I know very little about my mom, but do know my dad had a drinking problem for years. He was also a Seabee in the Navy. He died of cirrhosis of the liver some 35 years ago.

Holly Saunders likes this.