Did You Or Do You Have Any Missionary Or Clergy Family Members?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My fathers mother and father were Seventh Day Adventist missionaries in Haiti where my dad and his two brothers were born. My mothers father was a Southern Baptist preacher.

Nathaniel Merritt and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm related to this guy, but I'm not sure just what the relationship was. He was in Wallace quite a lot when I was a kid. I think he was a second cousin or something. I've never really understood family relationship beyond grandparents, uncles, aunts, and first cousins

carlson.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My mother's people are Mormon, so yeah... lots of missionaries in our family.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My godfather was in the Priesthood but had not yet taken his final vows when he met a pretty senorita. They married and have six kids and many grandkids and great grandkids.

One of my Aunt's was a Nun...she passed away a few years ago.

My Ex was/is a Minister ordained to do marriages and funerals, etc. He performed the marriage ceremonies for our two daughters and their husbands.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My BIL was a PhD Pastor, but lost his church to a new church (years and years ago). He passed away a few years ago.

6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was ordained years ago by the International Association of Spiritual Healers and Earth Stewards, a status by which I have performed three weddings and a funeral. And, way back in my genealogy are a couple reverends of as yet unknown denomination, plus John Knox, founder of Presbyterianism.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Can you cast Spells?

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife's cousin was a medical missionary to the Belgian Congo when the roof blew off so to speak. War for independence broke out and missionaries and white people were killed. I had seven members of my family who were long time pastors, with the Methodist, the Presbyterians, the Southern Baptists, and the Assemblies of God and one Non-Denominational That in itself ought to be a passport through the Pearly Gates. But maybe not.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

:rolleyes: Maaaaay-be, @Lon Tanner , although I adhere to the Threefold Law, that whatsoever you do returns to you times 3, so it's best to be quite selective and positive with any energetic working like that.:cool:

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Interesting--I had to look up the Threefold Law.

Jeff Elohim and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  11. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

It Threefold Law also is interpreted as a dictum to return good three times or three times worth the good we receive. Whichever way one interprets it, the positivity and generosity of it appeals to me.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Nathaniel Merritt

Nathaniel Merritt Active Member
    Registered

I have been a clergyman since the age of 27 when I was ordained as a pastor at Grace Baptist Church in Inkster Michigan. The officers of the Evangelical Church Alliance International (of Bradley Illinois) did the honors. At the age of 35, however, I became a Buddhist. Several years later I became a Sensei. Then a few years after that I was ordained to the priesthood. Then I and several other Zen priests started a Pure Land sect called Hongaku Jodo and a school for training clergy. Four years ago I returned to Christ and HJ continues on.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  13. D'Ellyn Dottir

Registered

@Nathaniel Merritt , That's quite the spiritual journey you've been on. I look forward to hearing some of the wisdom you have encountered along the way. :)

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are several in my family including myself.
    I never really wanted to pastor a church even though I have been asked a few times to do so. Plant a church maybe but pastor one, no.
    My heart is with the rescue missions ministry and I spent about 23 years in it whilst sometimes working concurrently in the food and beverage industry.
    Note: It was the food and beverage industry that put me through Seminary and helped me earn a bachelors and 2 master’s degrees.
    Even more, my knowledge of food procurement, preparation and health put me in a vocational teaching capacity at a few missions.

I suppose I could ramble on but all of that and pages more have I already written at least 4 times on this very forum so rather than bore the members who already know me and to avoid the inevitable feeling among the new members that I might be chest thumping, I bid thee a good night and may God’s blessings be abundant.