Did You Try Any New Garden Plants This Year?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Maggie Rose, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This year, I tried:

• Honeydew Coneflower (suppose to be a pretty lime green color), I'm still deciding
    • a Lime green Garden Phlox (very light greenish/yellow-planted in a pot this first year)
    • Green Iris (didn't bloom yet) The outdoor bunnies will not stop eating the shoots!
    I'm in an all-out search for green and white flowers with a desire to plant yet another garden with an all green and white theme. The garden will be a memorial garden for my momma. A place to sit in peace and serenity and just enjoy mother nature's quiet beauty and breathe. Have you ever seen the beauty of white flowers in the garden at night?

honeydew-coneflower-800x640.jpg

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds interesting and pretty, Maggie. What area of the country (or the world) are you in? I'd like to see some pics if you can post 'em.

I'm waiting on a couple more mums that I ordered with my grocery order; I'm going to put a rust-colored one in a pot on the front porch.

Maggie Rose and Von Jones like this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't tried any new flowers this year. Last year I did black-eyed susans but they didn't come up this year. I added lilac iris' and hostas though.

Maggie Rose and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Maggie Rose

Registered

I forgot. I want coffee with me as I sit there. Or maybe, a glass of wine or a margarita on occasion. I'm in the midwest. Smack dab in the middle of the U.S. On photos, you have no idea. I've been gardening for many years and I have tons and tons of pictures. I absolutely love the beauty of flowers and the peacefulness of working in a garden. I've been sidetracked for health reasons but I'm not quitting. I can't. I haven't had any mums for several years now but I do like them. Do you keep them year-round or do you use them like an annual for fall pots?

5. Maggie Rose

Registered

That's weird on the black-eyed susans. I had a large mass of them for years. In late summer, I would just take a couple of the dried/dead flowers off the stalks and crumble them around the garden letting the seed drop as it may. The following years did not disappoint. I had a beautiful mass of them for years! I did notice this year, that it was pitiful the small number of them I had bloom. I just thought it was because of my not being able to care for my garden properly (physically) for a while. If yours didn't come up, maybe there's another reason for it, I don't know. Usually, they come back for years.

What color lilac did you plant? Did you get to enjoy blooms from it this first year of planting? I love the smell of them but I've never planted one.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, OK! We like to sit out on our patio, but here in Houston the times for that are limited due to heat, mosquitoes and humidity. We were just out there and it's pleasant this evening, but I got all sweaty planting the mums. I'm a sporadic gardener at best; I used to love it but somehow I don't anymore.

I used to plant mums as perennials but I haven't had them in a few years. When I saw them available on my grocer's website I thought it might be nice to add a touch of color to the backyard for the fall. I planted one pot for the front porch as well.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

They were iris' in the color of lilac. They were starters that I bought from a lady at the flea market. She shared a picture of what they would look like next year.

I was expected two bunches of black-eyed susans since I poured Miracle Grow in the hole before setting them in the ground. I was really disappointed. I don't know too much about their growth cycle but I'm going to find out.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  8. Maggie Rose

Registered

Ah, Houston sounds good. I can take heat and humidity but those damn mosquitoes (here too) tick me off! What I hate worse though are the occasional garden snakes that catch me off guard and cause me to jerk my back. I hate snakes. I was never very successful in keeping the mums year-round. I don't think I had the time back then to learn to care for them properly. I was way better keeping them in pots for the fall decorating.

I was gonna go for a bike ride today but the wind is too cold for Bella and rain's a coming. We got a cold spell this week. It's supposed to be warmer into next week so maybe... some more walks and bike rides. Maybe old man winter isn't here just yet.

I like to learn about what grows in other parts of the country/world. I don't know why I just do. Maybe it's because I fantasize about relocating to a warmer climate. I look forward to the garden post from everyone. Go wash that sweat off already!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Maggie Rose

Registered

Oh! I misunderstood, I thought you meant you planted iris and lilacs. I dug up some purple iris this year and got rid of them. I'd had them for many years and just wanted a change. I planted some of the light green ones the bunnies won't leave alone and some white ones. Hopefully, I'll get to see them next year.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Holy crap! I saw some interesting plants in one of my wife's flats under lights and asked what they were. She said they were Bidens! I have always been very anti-herbicide, but I may have to order some!!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.