Discussing Live Events

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Whenever a significant event occurs and someone begins a thread about it, a familiar dialogue usually occurs.

Most of us are watching, listening, or reading various sources of information, and many of us are commenting on things as we learn them. Of course, shortly after a significant event (such as the attempted assassination of the leading candidate for president) occurs, the available information is going to be wild, and this usually doesn't mean that anyone here is making stuff up.

Most of the sources that we depend on for news are interested in being the first, or at least among the first, to report on a piece of information, and even those sources that are generally credible are going to get stuff wrong because the information they are relying upon is wrong. They publish or broadcast it anyhow because if they were to wait until the FBI has concluded its investigation to report on a story, their story would not only be irrelevant as far as being a news story, but it would consist of whatever insider spin the FBI decided to place on it.

Generally, there will be members here who will be frustrated because people are posting stuff that might turn out to be wrong, and others will feel embarrassed or ashamed because they had posted something that later turned out to be wrong.

Don't feel that way. The alternative would be for us to not share in an exciting event when that is exactly what we want to do. This isn't a news magazine, and we're not investigative reporters. We're people talking about stuff through the medium of a forum. In a time when the mainstream news isn't even interested in telling the truth when they have it, we shouldn't be ashamed because we posted something that might later turn out to have been wrong.

If something exciting is going on in the world and there are twenty of us logged into the forum, we shouldn't have to wait until an official story has been decided on before discussing the news we're hearing. For one thing, the official story is likely to be load of lies anyhow. Don't make stuff up but we should all feel free to share the information that we have when we have it.

There are people here who I consider to be more credible than others, and we probably all have members who we're more likely to believe, and these are not all going to be the same people. My list is no more authoritative than yours, and that's okay. We're a group of people in a virtual room talking about something of interest to us.

When I'm talking about something that has occurred in the more distant past, I will generally take the time to research whatever it is that I am going to say before posting it, but I don't always even do that. There will be some things that I firmly believe that might nevertheless be wrong, and I might trust information that I have gotten because I trust the source, yet the source might turn out to be wrong.

That's okay. We all have a right to be wrong. No one is going to ban you because you were wrong about something. Of course, if you want to be on the lists of people whom others trust as a source, accuracy helps, but I don't think anyone expect perfection.

But in the moment, when no one knows for sure what's really going on, if you wait until an official story has been developed, most people will no longer be interested.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024