Disposing Of Gunpowder

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been years since I last reloaded ammunition for my firearms, and I no longer do it, but I have two containers of Smokeless Powder that I'd like to get rid of, for the sake of protection against a destructive explosion which might accompany a fire.

Would the Police or Fire Department be the proper agencies for its disposal, or should I just go to a vacant desert area and sprinkle it around?

Hal
    115.JPG

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

try a local gun club

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Get rid of it. Just burn it up!

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

There are several gun clubs in my area...I think I'll just take Al's advice and go to one, and even try to sell all my reloading equipment too!

Hal

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny story but true. I had a hobby shop/pet store with many aquariums selling fish also doing a lot of research on fish diseases there was one disease that was called black spot the treatment was picric acid which I got from the local drug store he had to order it in. It came with water over the top in the bottle I never needed to use it and it sat on the shelf for years. One day I seen on the news that they are collecting it from the school science labs. So there was a police cruiser outside I took it out to him throwing it up and down as I did asking the policeman if he could get rid of this for me. He drove off and ten minutes later they had all the street blockaded I when outside the store to ask the policeman what is going on in a harsh voice get back inside we have a bomb threat. I looked down the street and the police car I gave the bottle two was one block away they cleared out the bowling alley. I ask the policeman if it had anything to do with a bottle of picric acid he ask me what did I know about it. I said I gave it to the officer. Later everything back to normal and a detective came and talked to me no problem. Picric acid is TNT with water over it as long as the water is there it is safe.

6. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

WD-40 disables primers. I suspect that or oil would disable smokeless powder.

Google says sprinkle it on you lawn, makes good fertilize. Believe I would water it down good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you should take it to an empty field, put a fuse in it and light the fuse. I bet it would make one helluva firecracker. :D

Peter Renfro likes this.
  8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I would burn it too. But I am about half pyromaniac. Smokeless powder makes a hell of a flash. It will not explode as long as it is not confined. Get some cannon fuse and light it up. The length of fuse would be dependent on the amount of powder. I once fired up about a pound and a half. flames were probably 20 feet high.

If that is all you have left load it up and shoot it. Blasting cans is a great way to spend an hour or two.
    Bet ya would have done it when you were twenty!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Registered

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

If I were to "load it up and shoot it", that means I would have to set up my reloading equipment on my bench and go through all the steps: Prime the brass cases, load them with the proper weight of powder, crimp a lead bullet into each case, and go to a shooting range.

WAAAY too much trouble!

(I didn't start reloading ammo until I was over sixty and retired.)

Hal

11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

You live in the desert. Why would you need a shooting range?

12. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Peter, because we have laws preventing stray bullets from impacting residential areas on the fringes of the Deset Wilderness, and also because there are Equestrian Clubs up here.

Our Lions Club Range even has local Civil War Reenactment clubs presenting skirmishes that include live musket and cannon fire. My wife and I have each pulled the lanyard on a Civil War 6-Pounder!

Stray bullets could impact on fringe residential areas or on equestrians. Even our local ranchers and cowboy types respect that!

Hal

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Of what, Shirley?
    Hal

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m not Shirley but when you get that new swimming pool (again) and then get tired of it (again) you could blow the thing up instead of simply boxing it up. It would make for some fairly good pictures if you did it at night!

Oh say can you see, by the dawn’s early light...............

15. Shirley Martin

Registered

Of that gigantic firecracker you're going to make. Shhhhht-boom!!!!

Bobby Cole likes this.