Do People Complain About Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 30, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just how much do people complain about the city/area you live in?

We have complained about different things concerning the city we live in and how it's changed since we moved here in August 2019. Actually, it changed quite a bit even before then.

I thought we complained quite a bit, but I'm on a neighborhood website called Nextdoor and there are those that live here that complain a whole lot more than we do. They complain about all of the new buildings (homes/industrial) going up, how fast young folks drive, vandalism and numerous other things. I was very surprised at all of the complaints, but those that complain, continue to live here.

But, guess there are those that will verbally complain about things around them and those that will keep their complaints to themselves.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Just how much do people complain about the city/area you live in? None to speak of

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You must live in the most desirable area in the U.S., if nobody complains. Either that, or, people just don't verbalize their complaints.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hard to tell. A small town of 800 or under.. it literally is Mayberry RFD all over again. No big buildings, no drag races, no clubs really ..dullsville perfect for ole people. One we do have one young one who likes to barrel down the road.. All yo u gotta a do is tell his mother
    :D

Beth Gallagher and Vada Bloom like this.
  5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I see the same thing you do and from the same source, Cody. We have had a lot of growth here, even during the pandemic and a housing shortage. According to the neighborhoods on Nextdoor none of know how to drive, there aren't enough apartments and housing but we are building way too much and favoring developers and we are going to have a water shortage and there is too much crime and the kids are all out of control and there aren't enough police, and, and, and, it is a horrible place to live, etc. etc. etc.

The worst thing IMO is the recent results of our mayoral election. Our mayor was replaced with a political novice funded by out of state money. We are truly in uncharted territory now.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Believe me, we don't complain nearly as much as many on Nextdoor do! We do complain, but there are those Seniors, like us, that think that complaining is getting it off of our chests.............which can be a good thing.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I talked to an older Senior couple (like us) last night, in the parking lot of a restaurant, and the husband verified about all of the complaining done on Nextdoor in this city.

Businesses don't care about growth, because it's money in their pockets, but with lots of growth, like what's happening here, citizens are seeing/complaining about more and more traffic and crime.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We live in a nice town, not as nice as it used to be. The state (Maryland) has always sucked and is getting worse, a little mini-me, California-wannabe state. I’m fed up with it. We will be signing a contract on a new home in an out of state 55+ community within the week.

Oh, and NextDoor is like having a back yard gossip fence on your iPad. I’ll be ditching that when we move.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally agree about the next door app being 99% gossip ! that is how ours is, too. Other than the complainers on the next door app, we really do not hear any complaining from actual people that we know who live here in Huntsville.
    It is actually a pretty great place to live, big enough to have everything a person need close by, excellent hospitals and doctors, beautiful lakes and parks for family enjoyment, and it is not so large that you have too much people and traffic like a really large city.

Both Bobby and I miss living out in the country, but for having to live in town, this is probably as good as it gets.

10. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sometimes there is a good reason to complain. I decided early on that I would mostly read and that has served me well.

I have considered ditching it several times but I just skip most of the complaining. On the other side the app can be a real help. I've gotten a handyman from it, kids to mow my lawn and lots of other tips about new businesses, things going on with the city that I need to know and once info about a fire burning in public space close to me. So, I have kept the app and stayed out of the conflicts but you are correct about it being gossip over the back fence in a lot of the posts.

Yvonne, I was raised out in the country and I still miss it even after all these years living in the suburbs.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nothing wrong with gossip! A person can learn a lot about the place they are moving to or already live in.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When affordable apartments are built in the country or suburbs, that wife and I can afford, then, and only then, could we move out of the city.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Cody won't live anywhere that doesn't have at least 80,000 people. In that way, he can be sure to find people to complain about. I think he wants a metropolis of people who act like they're living in a small town. It ain't gonna happen, but then I don't think he really wants to live in a nice place.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Nice places cost, Ken! IOW, not all Seniors/retirees have a nice SS and Retirement income to afford a nice/decent place to live.

It's obvious that you don't have the problems where you live that a lot of people that live here have. I know, it can be hard to believe just how much the young generation here would love to see every single old person/Senior move out of here. But, it is very, very true.

And, one other thing Ken, there are a lot of members here on this forum that complain about a lot of things. You have noticed that, right? Members complaining about "people" in general.

It's very true that wife and I get along with rodeo, farm and ranch folks much better than we do big-city folks. But, there are those that simply can't afford to buy property in the areas those folks live in.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Pretty cool........I've actually got some "Likes" here. So, somebody understands my thread/topic.

Don Alaska likes this.