Do People Complain About Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 30, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wait until the laws become similar to the traffic laws in Washington. No matter what the speed limit says, you have to go as fast as the rest of the traffic does.
    If the sign says 70 and everyone is going 80 except you…you get the ticket for going too slow.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have always said that no place is perfect for everyone, thank goodness. You just have to find the place that suits YOU best regardless of what other think about it. I am sure most people wouldn't want to live where I live, but that is just fine with me. There are too many people here already.:)

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had 2 speeding tickets in my life...one in 1972 and the other in 1990. Both times I was going with the flow.

I'm of 2 minds on such a law. It would be nice to not have the police play "gotcha" when you're speeding so as to not impede traffic, but there still needs to be a limit...so just raise it. On the other hand, I was 18 when I got that first ticket. I was doing nearly 90MPH because there was a car so close on my bumper I could not see his license plate and I was trying to get around traffic so I could pull into the right lane and let the jerk pass.

There are more unsafe things than not speeding when those around you are. You cannot put people in driving situations they are uncomfortable in. And speed limits are supposed to be set for safe driving conditions. So that standard no longer exists just because drivers ignore them? And why would I be more likely to get a speeding ticket if I were doing it with the road wide open and no other vehicles around to endanger? I guess it's about as valid as anything else government does.

edit to add: Gee, now I'm complaining about where they live! I'm expanding my horizons.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Have you ever read “The teachings of Don Juan”?
    In the first section we have Don Juan instructing Castaneda to find his spot and sit. The one place he knows without a shadow of a doubt where he belongs. The one place where he feels that he is in perfect alignment and harmony with the universe. (all paraphrased).

In a way, it’s the same with me. I may not like my surroundings because it’s a city but I have my spot. My porch and my chair is my spot and the good thing is that I didn’t have to do a bunch of peyote to find it.

Jenna Parnellson and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't worry about going to slow, well sort of. We pretty much keep up with traffic on streets and freeways, but there are those that drive both that drive 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit. We won't do that.

What is really funny is when an Officer shows up on a street, people slow down........well, some do. Some don't see the Officer and start tailgating or going in and out of traffic to avoid the slow down. Many think that a Senior is driving somewhere in front of them. What a shock when they see the patrol car going the speed limit, not a Senior driving slow.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, currently, I just logged out of the social website of Nextdoor. Once we move, I may (and I did say "may") log back in for the area we are in), but don't know.

There's just a lot more complaints than even I want to read about. Have gotten tired of it!

Ken Anderson and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  7. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I live in a scary building and area,I only complain about all the cigarette smoke and marijuana smoke I smelling the hallway when I'm on my way out but always to myself.I don't leave my apartment at night unless it's with another person and that hasn't happened in years.I go out in daytime.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Apart from a brief couple of years when I first moved to Canada I have always lived in small rural villages and have had very little to complain about in any of the dozens of places or people in those places. I Simply cannot envisage tolerating the hassle and bustle and challenges that come with crowded city living for very long, To each their own but the way I look at it if everyone wanted to live in the country then there would be no nice quite places for recluses like myself to hide in!

9. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:)

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not necessarily surprising, but we aren't the only ones that have complained about Henderson, NV, where we live now. Talked to an older lady, I think is older than us, who has lived here, in Henderson and the complex, for 5 years and she wants to leave. She moved here from Colorado also. She told me "it's grown enormously big since I've moved here. I've put up with the summer heat for 5 years, but can no longer."

11. Cindi Marie Bauer

Cindi Marie Bauer Active Member
    Registered

Nope! And no one's ever asked me neither.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't do "nextdoor", but my SO signed up when we were in AZ, and she still gets all the notices for that neighborhood. She doesn't read them, though, so I end up deleting them whenever I'm in clean up mode.

As for folks complaining about where I live, been here in Central Florida for 2 1/2 years, and not heard one complaint about the town/region. And I don't have any complaints either.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

All according to where it is and who lives there. Woke self-loathing fools or proud Americans.
    We live in a rural area, yet the people here voted all democrat lately and it may as well be downtown NYC,
    You can move into anywhere here and turn it into a campground EXCEPT, near the political leader's homes or affluent hoods. You don't like your property values drastically lowered plus who wants to live in a rural ghetto, tough for you. Bullets going past you when working outside, suck it up and shut up. 20 years ago people knew how to use a gun, or maybe it was a warning shot for complaining to Code Enforcement who protects them.
    We ain't seen nothing yet, just wait till all the third world illegal's get 'situated'.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

That is great, lets hope it stays that way for you, and your commissioner doesn't own a septic business who made camping legal in what was once rural small acre tract communities now with non citizens camping out firing guns and ignoring all zoning code laws.Now that it is legal to set up a camp anywhere with campers or tents then he can sell all his septic tanks since they did make it illegal
    to crap in the woods. Some affiliated with Gangs. They still don't have pipes to the tank of course.

15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, that doesn't sound like a very pleasant situation. Hope things get better for you.