Do We Have Any San Francisco 49er Fans On Board?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been a 49er fan before the days of YA Tittle and I went to high school with John Brodie.
    I am looking forward to tonight's game with the Eagles as I have my dinner.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've not encountered a lot of 49ers fans out this way. I recall the days of Joe Montana, but would be hard-pressed to tell you who's on their team (or any team) these days.

I've been to a few Redskins games at the old RFK stadium. Back in the day before they moved to Maryland, I would see a lot of the Redskins out & about at the local bars (Theisman, Jacoby, Riggins, Brown.) In fact, I used to work in the same business park where their practice field was.

Interestingly, there seem to be a ton of Dallas fans here (our long-term rivals.) I don't know if there are a bunch of Texas transplants, or if the Cowboys just have a nationwide following.

There are also quite a few Steelers fans in the DC area, since Pennsylvania is pretty close by...but for some reason there aren't a lot of Eagles fans. The local sports bars would always have the Steelers game on if they were playing that day.

I guess the next most common fans here are Seahawks fans. Not sure why. I have friends who were born in the DC area who are die-hard Seahawks fans.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

* "America's Team." :D

4. John Brunner

Nah.

No one gets that title unless we all agree...and we don't.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We haven't watched the NFL in over a year now, so I call that a "win." They can kneel down and stay there for all I care.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I wasn't gonna tinkle in the man's thread like that, even though it was his team that started all this.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

After the era of the Dolphins with Dan Marino, Csonka, Kick and Mercury Morris, and the Steelers' with their steel curtain, and the Jets with Namath, my interest waned to nearly zero.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Always liked them but my Colts have been my team since 1957

9. John Brunner

Even after they snuck out of Bal'mor?

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a 49ers fan before I met my husband who is a die hard Steelers fan. That was in 1996. To me the 49ers lost their running game back then.

Don Alaska and Lon Tanner like this.
  11. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did anybody watch the 49ers-Dolphins football game on Sunday? Was a star born? I'm talking about Brock Purdy, who replaced the injured Jimmy Garoppolo as the 49ers quarterback. The fans groaned when the untested and unknown Purdy was put into the game. But Purdy shocked and surprised everybody and the 49ers went on to win the game. The kid was fantastic!

Purdy is known as "Mr Irrelevant" because he was the last selection in the NFL draft, number 262, absolutely dead-last. No other Mr Irrelevant every amounted to anything in football. But Purdy made football history by being the first Mr. Irrelevant to throw a touchdown pass in an NFL game. In fact, he threw two touchdown passes, 25 completions, 37 throws, and 1 interception.

Historically, what's interesting here is that 20 years ago, Tom Brady replaced the injured Drew Bledsoe for the New England Patriots and that was when Brady's fabulous career was born. It may seem far-fetched, but maybe a star was born last Sunday when Brock Purdy made history. He had a fantastic game and everybody in football is talking about it. But is he a flash in the pan or is he for real?

Purdy's second big test is coming this Sunday. And guess who the 49ers will play? None other than the Tampa Buccaneers whose quarterback is Tom Brady. It's Brock Purdy against Tom Brady. It's the KID against the GOAT. This is as good as it gets.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

Everybody loves the underdog.

But it's the NFL. Even last drafted is pretty darned talented, huh?

John Houlihan likes this.
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The 49ers were my favorite until I met and married a die-hard Steelers fan. I still like the 49ers though. I love the underdogs too.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was a Steelers fan for over 50 years @Von Jones. I gave up the NFL when it became politicized. I was checking baggage through the Kansas City airport recently, and that included a Steelers duffel bag. The baggage handler became ecstatic when he saw the bag, and flashed a Steelers logo that he had tattooed on his arm. Not too many Steelers fans in Missouri, I guess.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

I had neighbors who were from Pennsylvania and were rabid Steelers fans. Back in the early 80s they went to a game and bought me a Terrible Towel.

I should have kept it in better condition, rather than using it as a bowling towel.

Don Alaska likes this.