Do You Answer Your Phone If You Don't Know Who It Is?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If your phone is ringing and you don't know who it is, do you answer it? Do you regularly check voicemail messages?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No. I very seldom answer the phone unless I see it is one of the kids calling. We still have a landline that gets a lot of junk calls. Since the line is with Comcast/Xfinity, the caller ID displays on the TV screen so it's easy to see who is calling without moving off the sofa. :D

Messages on my cellphone pop up on my Apple watch so I can screen those easily, too.

3. Ken Anderson

I do sometimes, but rarely, and when I do, I nearly always regret it. I don't even answer my phone when I know who it is, but that's because I often don't know where it is. As for voicemails, it's been years since I've checked my voicemail.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The only time I answer from an unknown number if if I'm expecting a return call from a doctor and the Area Code/Exchange look like they may be the same. Some of the larger medical systems use Work From Home scheduling staff.

I don't get a lot of Voice Mail messages so I check them regularly in case I missed a "real"call.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I've also heard not to say yes or ok, some can use that to say you agreed with whatever scam going.
    I never answer if I don't see a known number. I will check answering machine.

6. Ken Anderson

It's interesting that now, with the constant availability of a telephone and free long-distance calling, most people don't answer their phones. Before cell phones, it seemed like it was almost a sin not to answer the phone when it rang.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When my wife began getting threatening phone calls, we called the Troopers, but they said they couldn't do anything unless we knew who called. As a consequence, we got Caller ID and it was the best decision ever. I always hated the telephone and still do, as I spent hours every days on the phone at my job. Now I don't answer it unless I know who it is and I want to talk with them. We have a land line for business and emergencies, and I try to keep my cell phone number secret except for family. My wife gives her number out freely though.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope I do not. Unless your in my contacts or a business I do business with - calls are considered spam and are blocked . Thank you T mobile !

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The times they are a changing, :D

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No. I do not.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, I do not. In fact, I don't answer it even when I know whom is
    calling. It all of course depends.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was just thinking that it was the pre-answering machine days when answering was mandatory.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt. Phone calls were always kept in their place. Now, our phones are chained to us. The Midas Curse, on a certain level.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I answer most calls. If it's an 800 number, and I'm not expecting a call like that, sometimes I'll just pick up the phone and wait until the other party speaks first. Robocallers and spammers usually hang up.

I answer most other calls, because too many times I would have missed important calls otherwise. There are periods when it seems like most of my time is spent waiting for someone to return a call. If they ever do, it's like striking gold, and I don't want to miss it. ;)

Discontinued voicemail several years ago. It just got filled up with spammers, and seemed to encourage them. I don't get as many now.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Sometimes, when I do answer the phone and it turns out to be someone I don't want to talk to, I'll do the mature and responsible thing and just keep saying, "Hello? Hello? Hello? ..."

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If you answer it, it just lets the ba$tards know they have reached a real person. Then, it will never stop. If it's somebody I want to talk to, I answer. If not, I don't.