Do You Ever Buy Things That You Don't Even Open?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At this time, I have, still in the box...
    • a Wi-Fi extender that I bought a year or so ago to see if I could get better Wi-Fi coverage in the library, but then I decided that the HP computer I have in there sucked too badly to use it, anyhow, so I haven't bothered taking it out of the box, although I will eventually.
    • a television that I also bought for the library. Same as above.
    • a cat house that I purchased for whichever of the feral cats might want to use it. As it requires assembly and I hate doing that, I haven't gotten around to putting it together yet. Plus, I would need to erect, at least, a lean-to in order to keep it from being buried in the winter.
    • a mini-trampoline, but that just came a week or so ago, so I'll get around the unpacking that before long. I've just been busy.
    When I was teaching at TSTC, one of my instructors asked me to help him go through his uncle's house after he passed away. He had inherited the house although he hadn't been particularly close to his uncle.

He had thirty or forty very old mini-television/radio combinations that were still in unopened boxes, as well as a bunch of kitchen gadgets and some other things that were in the original, unopened boxes.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes. I just ran across it this week. A hot plate I bought years ago to use upstairs to heat water for coffee. Then decided it would be a fire hazard. Still in the box. Bought a cheap drip coffee pot with burner instead. It stays hot enough for me. I'm not picky about coffee.

Several 48" fluorescent shop lights I got for a bargain, also years ago, to replace the old ones in the basement. Never got around to putting them up. Now I would buy LED lights anyway.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes; I'm a "just in case" purchaser. I bought a Keurig coffeemaker as a spare in case the one we're using craps out. That was a black Friday sale about 4 years ago and the original Keurig is still chugging along. Also bought a vacuum sealer to replace the old one a couple of years ago and same story... the old one refuses to die. I have others but y'all get the picture.

4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I have purchased items that I never opened. I have about 70 CDs and 22 DVDs still sealed that I never listen to or watched, some are more than 10 years old. I have a pond filter with a built-in UV light that I purchased just before I decided to fill in the pond it's still in the box never opened. I have a Monopoly game that still sealed, it's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer themed from the TV show.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I have a set of UHF/VHF walkie talkies I need to get licensed for. I got a good closeout deal. They are not true SHTF stuff because they rely on an infrastructure (they are not radio-to-radio.)

[​IMG]

I was gonna take FCC classes but then COVID hit. I'm glad you reminded me. I'll have to see if classes started back up.

I'm sure there's other stuff...after all, I'm an American. I benefit from the transitory emotional soothing that purchases provide. Actual product utility is subordinate.

And I just read Beth's post. I have backup stuff like hers as well, to include a second vacuum sealer.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I have most of the things mentioned already that we have not used. Solar being the most expensive purchased about 8 years ago.
    I gave up on coffee pots after they kept burning out or stope heating. I do have tried and true Coleman camping coffee pots but don't use them at home because no way to keep them hot unless I use stove top.
    Like most other things around here we try to keep it simple. We just use coffee pot filter, pour boiled water thru each cup.
    Have rafts still new in box for our boat. Shade Sails for the yard we haven't even unwrapped,

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope opened as recieved

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here..........opened as received. But, have opened and returned a few things. A coat fit to tightly and sent back. Bought another, from the same place, and it fit perfectly.

Bought a radio antenna for our vehicle, it didn't fit. Company told me to keep it or give it to someone and they refunded my money on Amazon.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just wanted to explain how I got 70 unopened CDs seems like a lot of money but actually it wasn't.
    I purchase a lot of my new CDs from a company called oldies.com. Before covid for two years in a row they would run a special a few months before Christmas where they drop the price of a lot of there $5.99 and $4.99 CD to $.99, and if you spent over $75 shipping was free. I was able to add enough 99 cent CDs to my regular purchases to get free shipping, over 2 years and 2 purchases I wound up with a lot of CDs.
    It was similar with the DVD's I'd purchase specials only.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope! I have opened everything I have purchased. I haven't opened a fancy toaster I won while shopping at a store. If my current one ever quits, I will. If not, some lucky person will inherit a new in the box toaster.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think those are radio to radio, @John Brunner. I only have one, but can use it on 2 meter and 60 centimeter bands. I use it mostly as a scanner, as the fire channels here aren't encrypted. It also works as an FM radio in a pinch.
    They are radio-to-radio, @John Brunner. 2 meter and 60 cm I believe. You can use them with repeaters, but they are not needed.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have lots of stuff I should get rid of, but nothing that hasn't been opened.

13. John Brunner

Two slice or 4 slice...cousin.

14. John Brunner

REALLY???

Daggone it. The two guys I met who have them told me they only work through repeaters. They used them at large public events...not sure why they would not just use their cell phones. I specifically raised the SHTF scenario and those radios being at risk of an operating infrastructure.

Thank you for that, Don! Now I REALLY gotta get that license...don't wanna run afoul of zombies AND the Fed all at the same time. ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't know what the range of them are, as I haven't tested them, but in an emergency, you can even break into the ambulance communications. You may get fined, but if it really is an emergency, who cares?

It is always a good thing to have at least a Technician license, as they are easy to get, and can open a whole world of communications, even satellites if you wish.

John Brunner likes this.