Do You Have A Favorite Pet? This Was Mine

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Jake Smith, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Alice; and she was one of the smartest, bravest, and loyal pets; I've ever known. She lived to be 19 years old.

DSCN1044.JPG

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Alice was the best dog I've ever had and I've had some great dogs.
    I miss the cats, but I miss my donkey just as much, she was smart also sneaky. She would hide behind a tree not realizing her body was visible. She would peep at me when she was mad and hiding.
    If spooked she would run to me and put her head on my shoulder and just Hew and Haw.

[​IMG]

Rosie and Jakes horse Tobacco with 3 of the grandkids and Jake holding her, taken about 25 years ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My darling little Harry, who lives in my heart forever. This is how he'd sleep; on his back with feet in the air.

upload_2024-2-24_20-5-28.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sweet, :)

Jake Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

Reminds me of Foxy, as far as being on her back. Every time she gets into trouble; she rolls over; and shows her tum tum. She thinks it fixes everything. :D

IMG_20231203_091105088_HDR (3).jpg

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Harry was 15 pounds and thought he was a badass. :D:D Big spirit in a small package.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is hard to choose a favorite pet, and I have written here before about Chipper, my little Yorkie-Poo, who was my Heart Dog. Chipper was the one I called my Fuzzy Kid, and he seemed to understand everything I said, and most of what I was thinking.

Another choice, who was just as dear to me, was my Gladiator Doberman, Bruno. This is his story.

Bruno was a purebred Gladiator Doberman, way larger and more powerful than a regular Doberman, and he had been professionally trained as a guard dog. When the lumber mill in Bonners Ferry (Idaho) shut down for labor disputes, the mill owners brought Bruno in to protect the mill from vandalism, and that is exactly what he did.
    Once the dispute was settled, and the mill opened back up, the mill owners were going to have Bruno put down, because he was not the kind of dog to just go and be somebody’s house dog.
    However, one of the mill workers was able to talk the owners into giving Bruno to them.

When I found him, Bruno was tied up on a heavy chain, in the cold spring mud, no dog house, and his food scattered all over in the mud, and he was skin and bones.
    I asked the people if they would give him to me, and they told me the story of Bruno, and said if I wanted him, I could have him. I was working in the town that week ( for Combined Insurance) and staying at my son’s house; so I made Bruno a bed in the back of my Mazda Pickup truck, which had a camper cover on it, where he could be safe and warm, and put his bowl of food inside the spare tire.

Bruno traveled with me everywhere i worked, and happily spent his days in the back of the truck, and in motel rooms with me at night. (Combined had a route and I traveled over most of northern Idaho and Eastern Washington State), and was at my house on weekends.
    He was actually a friendly dog, but his work was being a guard dog, and he took his job seriously. Once I let a person in, then Bruno would sit beside them and lean his head against their leg to be petted.

He also seemed to understand a lot of what I was thinking.
    One day, we were out walking and there was a little garter snake in the road that had been hurt and could not crawl. I was thinking about picking it up and putting it in the ditch along side of the road, in case it might be able to survive. Bruno reached down, gently picked up the little snake , using just his lips, and carefully put the snake over in the ditch.
    I just stood there with my mouth hanging open, because there was no way that dog could have known what I was thinking, but he somehow did.
    (This picture is not Bruno, but looks like him)

IMG_6095.jpeg

8. Jake Smith

Registered

Like a chu wa wa dog. They're not scared of anything, and they will fight almost any dog, they're not as big as a minute.:D

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Nice story about Bruno, especially the snake part. We watched a story today a mistreated dog, it was a true story about 2 pit bulls in her life. 'Susie's Hope'. Trailer below, good movie if you haven't seen it.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

Sounds like Bruno; came from the same faith as Foxy and Leo; who were chained and starved. I'm so glad you got him and gave him a good life. I'm not so sure they don't understand what we are thinking at times.

11. Jake Smith

Registered

This little pet squirrel, girly; loved to eat and would stretch out while drinking, to make sure she emptied the bottle every time.

DSCN1107 (1).JPG

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

so many....our last little dog...peaches ...was put to sleep on Tuesday...
    animals have favorites too....hers was Pa...
    i console myself that she's in his arms...

Attached Files:

13. Jake Smith

Registered

So sorry for your loss, Theresa, it's so hard when we're so attached to them. They do have their favorites for sure. :)

Marie Mallery and Teresa Levitt like this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Marie, at 17 years old, with her ghost face shepherd puppy, named Tammy after her sister.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

Our pet chicken, Lucille is walking much better now, but I'm scared to put her back with the other eight chickens, because they may hurt her, or worse.

She's my favorite pet chicken, so far. When I walk up she just lays down and wants to be held.

DSCN1919 (1).JPG

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.