Do You Like Cheese? What Is Your Favorite, And How Do You Eat It?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I like all Cheeses and cheese sauces but my favorite is a Sharp Cheddar. The sharper the better. Munster and Provelone second. I will always have cheese with some wine.

Janine Coral and Faye Fox like this.
  2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm a colby fan, but it has gotten very hard to find around here in the last few years. So I guess the next fave is Swiss or Havarti if I'm just eating it by itself or on a sandwich.

Janine Coral, Faye Fox and Lon Tanner like this.
  3. Jack Roberts

Jack Roberts Well-Known Member
    Registered

Extra Sharp Cheddar for cooking and or snacking. Swiss at times too, mainly as a snack. Halloumi cheese is delicious as well. I like it fried as a side dish with eggs.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Muenster is my favorite, followed by Swiss. I pretty much like 'em all, though.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like several types of cheese, particularly Colby, Gouda, and sharp cheddar, in that order.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been trying lots of different types. I've mentioned before that Kroeger grocery store entered into an agreement with a New York cheese maker (Murray's.) There are Murray's kiosks set up in Kroeger's stores where they bring in the wheels and cut wedges right there in the store. I've tried too many different types to list. They are all soooo good. In fact, I bought a wedge of their blue cheese just the other day and just finished a salad topped with it.

My favorite way to have cheese (although I don't do it very often) is with fruit, French bread, butter, and yogurt. Makes such a great meal.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes,,,eaten with variety of foods :)

John Brunner and Janine Coral like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just had some muenster on dark bread cheese toast. Yum.

9. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my favorite is pepper jack and xtra sharp chedda

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not sure what my favorite is, but I eat cottage cheese every morning for breakfast and medium cheddar for snacks in various ways. I just had a grilled medium cheddar sandwich for lunch. I sometimes get the sharp cheddar. Nearly all the cheeses I eat are locally produced. I do love and splurge occasionally with imported cheese made from goat and sheep milk. The only cheese I cannot eat is blue cheese. I use locally made cheese blends for making enchiladas and empanadas.

Goat cheese with thick chocolate syrup eaten with churros can be a real treat and goes well with black coffee for mid-morning. An evening with manchego sheep cheese, pimenton seasoned pita bread with a thin slice of patra negra jamon and a glass of Jerez brandy, while the rhythms of Spanish guitar breaks the silence, is my idea of an ideal evening.

Janine Coral and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Since folks here are doing their own cheeses, maybe someone can explain something because I know nothing about it. My wife and I usually have a chunk of cheese along with other things at breakfast. We had tried a variety of things but last year stumbled upon a cheese that has us addicted. It is intensely flavorful and it is our go to now. The one difference that I see is that it says it is aged 3 years. Does aging intensify flavor, because this taste, to us, is amazing? I’ve only seen it available at Costco in a solid black wrapper, Cabot 3-year aged Cheddar.

Janine Coral and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Aging definitely changes the flavor of cheese @Thomas Windom . It tends to make most cheeses taste sharper, so if that is what you like, stick with the aged cheese. My wife and I eat mostly aged cheddar these days, as she has digestive issues but can tolerate aged cheeses best. Cheeses aged in Vermont or New York seem to be my favorites, and they get quite crumbly when aged properly and don't melt well. My wife used to work in a cheese shop, so she knows more about European cheeses than I do. I also like the aged Swiss cheese.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in cheese country. Each cheese manufacturer provides its own flavors and types of cheeses from very young and squeaky cheese curds to aged for 10 years. Some make cheeses to sell commercially. But a lot of the smaller places sell directly to the public. We have a goat farm here that sells all sorts of cheeses past goat cheese. They became a restaurant and have mingling days with baby goats. They tried goat yoga but I am not sure how that went.
    I used to drive 40 miles each way to a place called Chilton for a 5 year old cheese that was amazing. Our big grocery store carries its 4 year old cheese so, in a pinch I get my cheese there for the difference in gas price. Still really good but if I happen to be going to Chilton, I get some cheese for the freezer.:)
    Cabot cheese is made in Vermont if you are ever out that way, you could probably do some taste testing.

14. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, this cheese is almost impossible to cut, it just breaks into chunks. It doesn’t melt well either as you say. Amazing taste though.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think Wisconsin has the best cheese AND beer nuts! :D

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.