Do You Religious Folk And Believers Think I Will Be Going To Hell?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I don't personally believe in Heaven or Hell I don't believe I will go to either place but I am curious as to what you think.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No, can't say as I believe in hell but you might miss out on desert.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fortunately, that won't be my decision and what I think about it won't affect the outcome one bit.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not religious, but my sister (a devout Southern Baptist) worries about my eternal soul. I appreciate her concern but I don't share it.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  5. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks: Sooner or later we all find out, or don't, one way or the other.

When I review my life, I figure I might spend eternity in Purgatory, and that'll be fine with me, as I enjoy skiing and cold weather.

In my Hell, I'm stuck in Austin, it's always summer, and "The View" is the only thing on TV, nonstop, with its original cast! Every time I turn on the radio, Whitney Houston is giving her Tarzan yell, as she eternally murders Dolly Parton's tune. The only foods available all contain coconuts. My car is an old Gremlin, and it runs for crap!

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I think you've got the coconut thing wrong... that should be Dollar Store Mystery Meat Hotdogs. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That would require the type of judgement that is totally “above” my pay grade. There’s a stiff penalty for making that kind of judgement and I’m not about to take any risks that I do not have to. That’s God’s job and no one has the right to pass judgment regarding where you will be spending eternity except Him.

There is one thing I CAN say however Lon. I am so certain that there is an afterlife that I would rather see you in heaven than in hell and I also know that God would rather see that too. That said, it’s all up to you and no one else.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

You are a kind soul Bobby

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No human is qualified to pronounce a statement to another that he/she is in danger of hell fire. That belongs only to a loving Father, the perfect sacrifice, who is our Creator.

All a believer can do is to live in such a manner that people, especially neighbors, notice a difference in how they live. We all have a testimony in everyday life, as far as whether we exude joy, grace, generosity, patience and friendliness. Our hope is that, as Paul the apostle said, “... sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear” ( 1 Pet 3:15)

So, if given the opportunity, we Christians can use words to invite people to follow Jesus with us, and the resulting experience of true contentment, peace, and joy that comes from a life devoted to Him. The believer is admonished in scripture to speak the truth in love, so if the topic comes up about the afterlife, I believe it would be unloving NOT to speak of what the bible says about hell, and that it is a definite place, and a place of torment we should avoid at all costs.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, Lon, why on earth would you even think you might go to Hell?? Anything you've done in your life that would deserve that? I don't see a thing as to why you would go to Hell..........not a thing.

As for wife and I, as Christians, we can only hope that we will go to Heaven and look very, very forward to that.

11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Not trying to be judgemental but according to God if you haven't accepted Jesus you'll enjoy the result of sin which is Hell and if you've accepted Jesus you'll be in paradise with Him.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

He doesn't "think he might go to hell." He's asking what Christians believe.

And since you profess to be a Christian, why would you "hope" to go to heaven; you should be confident of it.

Babs Hunt and Al Amoling like this.
  13. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lon, I believe that we'll all kneel before Jesus as the Bible says. Those who have accepted him as their savior will not face judgement. Those who have rejected him will be judged, and the result will likely be a tragic sentence to hell. Where's that leave an unbeliever?

The reason why I don't pass salvation judgement on individuals is not only because the Bible condemns it, but because there are unknown exceptions that we humans can't know. For instance, I don't think the Bible clearly exempts babies and young children from the "faith in Jesus" salvation doctrinal requirement, but certain scriptures do imply that they will be saved. There's also the objection about those in the world who haven't heard the Gospel message. Romans 1:20 says that they have no excuse for not knowing the Creator (God), given the evidence from nature, but even I question how they could know about Jesus' work on the cross without hearing of it. Or what about the severely retarded person who isn't able to comprehend the Gospel message? I have to trust that God is just and fair; thus, as scripture states, we will be held accountable based on what we know. Finally, there are many near death experiences occurring today, with some of them being shared on YouTube. Most of them detail wonderful accounts of going to heaven, being greeted by loved ones, and meeting Jesus. But, a percentage of them detail terrifying accounts of going to a dark place of screaming anguish, fiery heat, scary demons, pain, loneliness, and torment. Some called out to Jesus and were literally pulled out of there; all returned back to their bodies of course to tell the story. These folks tend to become instant believers and make for powerful Christian witnesses afterwards.

So, according to God's own words, Jesus is the only way to heaven, but there does seem to be some room to argue the when - for accepting him. It should be during our lifetimes so that we can be sure of our salvation and live a purpose driven life according to his will. But might unbelievers get a second chance after they die, when they meet Jesus? I don't know, but I hope so because I have family and friends in that boat. I too would love to see you there Lon.

I'll maintain that there are several good reasons to accept Christianity sooner rather than later:

First, because it's true based upon the scientific, historical, prophetic, and manuscript authority evidence.

Second, because we should want to have a relationship with our Creator, Lord, and Savior who loves us, just as we would innately desire one with our father or child.

Third, because we can take peace, comfort, and joy in knowing that, as our physical bodies are aging and deteriorating, our eternal souls are saved for a better life and world to come.

Fourth, because counting on a second chance after death is a recklessly risky plan for a soul determining event of such serious consequences.

Fifth, because our good works after salvation store up treasures for us in heaven that we'll appreciate later.
    I should think that, as one grows older and closer to an end time here, they would delight at the opportunity for a new life, supernatural body, and perfect world to enjoy forever. It's a better offer than winning any lottery. Better even than finding the fountain of youth. That alone makes acceptance of Jesus a prudent choice. Trading that potential paradise for an eternal torment in hell is irrational.

Babs Hunt and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So basically your belief is based on fear; the fear of eternal damnation if you don't believe? Sorry, not buying.

If I were a believer in an almighty God, it would follow that He knows what is in my heart, and what I have done in my life... and that would be the basis for judgement.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." -- Philippians 2:2-13

"Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it." -- Hebrews 4:1

Babs Hunt and Bobby Cole like this.