Documentary: Memory Of The Camps ( Nazi Death Camps Actual Footage )

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 3, 2024 at 10:49 AM.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Over seventy years ago, Allied troops invaded Germany and liberated Nazi death camps. They found unspeakable horrors which still haunt the world’s conscience. Frontline presents the world broadcast of a 1945 film made by British and American film crews who were with the troops liberating the camps. The film was directed in part by Alfred Hitchcock and was broadcast for the first time in its entirety on FRONTLINE.

This actual footage is almost too graphic to bear. It is beyond disturbing, yet something that everyone should have to see. For the Holocaust Deniers... shame on you.

The video is an hour long and is available on PBS website...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/memory-of-the-camps/?

Or can be seen on Youtube by clicking "Watch on Youtube" below. Warning: It is extremely graphic

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They should require this to be shown instead of all the trans and other sexual books in today's school libraries.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have read books and seen photos of the death camp horrors, but seeing the videos takes it to a whole new level. Also, I wasn't aware that there were so many of the camps... over 300 according to the documentary. I had heard mostly of Auschwitz and Dachau.

I still get goosebumps when I remember our visit to the Holocaust Museum in DC a few years ago.

Lulu Moppet and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

This is an excerpt from an article about the American Holocaust Museum exhibit of shoes. It is such a moving display; over 4,000 pairs of the victims' shoes.

"The idle chatter of the National Gallery or the National Museum of Natural History is rarely heard in these haunting halls. Choked emotion is mostly invisible until the tourists confront the museum’s final crescendo.

The shoes.

Still intact, perfectly formed, the remnants of lives piled one on top of the other.

“I never really understood why people come here from all over the world to see the shoes,” said Peter, an older gentleman with a neatly trimmed beard and disarming smile. Peter is a volunteer wearing a crimson blazer and khaki slacks. More than 400 volunteers, 74 of whom are Holocaust survivors, are trained to answer questions, to offer context and stories. So Peter, who introduces himself to visitors by his first name only, makes conversation with those who aren’t sure what to say.

“For one thing, it’s one of the few exhibits you can smell,” he says of the faint, rubber-tinged fumes that become more nauseating the longer you stand in the room.

“But then, one day, I looked down and saw those baby shoes, and it made sense,” he says, pointing to the tiny artifacts. “That’s when I thought, ‘A mother was carrying that child on the train.’ It then made sense to me why so many people want to see this.”

The shoes say more than words ever could.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for showcasing this, Beth. Never Again.
    [​IMG]
    Photo from a World War II era concentration camp.
    A Poem for Holocaust Remembrance Day: ‘Never Again’ by Susan Jarvis Bryant
    The Society

January 27, 2022
    Never Again
    Never again, beneath the sun
    Would mortal beings come undone.
    A pledge arose and soared on high—
    It warmed the heart and lit the sky
    The day the force for freedom won.

Yet now cruel camps with state-forced gun
    Are guarded by the soulless Hun
    And nowhere do the valiant cry—