Does Anyone Here Have A Vpn - Virtual Private Network

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by John Brunner, Dec 2, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm looking at installing VPN software on my laptop, and in my reading it seems that some of them block access to desired sites and slow down browsing in general.

Does anyone here use one or have one they would recommend? I'm not necessarily looking for a free one.

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No. Though I have used them when traveling in the RV for a private internet connection over the shared campground router. Nowadays I just use my iPhone as a hotspot and go about my business.

Also had VPN on work laptops but that's been a while now.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

John Nopales likes this.
  4. John Brunner

Yeh, it does everything a VPN is supposed to do, Ed. I was hoping someone with first-hand experience with a specific brand might be able to tell me how it performs for them. I've read stories of how some VPNs really drag down browser speed and block some websites. Some of them don't bring your system back to normal when you turn them off so you can try them again later...you have to Uninstall them. Or some require you to reboot your system when they lock up to clear them out of memory.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I use SurfShark, but it isn't free. I don't trust "free" everything, as your data is what is paying for the free whatever. So far I am happy with the VPN. It is easy to use and has MANY servers you can connect to.

John Brunner and Joe Riley like this.
  6. John Brunner

Thanks, Don. I'll check it out.

I agree with "free." "No cash payment" ≠ "No compensation." We consign our information away on one hand, only to pay to protect it on the other. That's why I only have the Walmart app on my phone and no others...I read the "Privileges" list and turn my back (why does a bird identifying app need access to my Contacts List?)

The VPNs I've seen so far with the best reviews (Express, Cyber Ghost) are about $7-$9 a month if you pay a year in advance. I see SurfShark is a little less than that, with a New Customer deal going on.

I was initially attracted to the idea of Firefox's VPN thinking it would play the nicest with my Firefox browser, but I read that it's real buggy.

Thanks for the first-hand input.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have tried them but they seemed to cause too many problems with connecting to sites that I wanted to connect to. The Opera browser used to include a free VPN that worked better than any others that I have tried, but I don't think they do that anymore.

John Nopales and John Brunner like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I only downloaded it out of curiosity but don't use it regularly. The slow part I find is when it makes multiple connections across across the globe at the beginning, but it seems to pick up speed once it's finished.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Mine has "multi hops" or whatever it is called as an alternate way to hook up, but I haven't used that as of yet. Being able to watch UK videos and not have my IP show up is enough. Normally my speed is the same as not using it, but on the occasion when it does seem to slow things down, I just disconnect then reconnect and everything is fine. Some websites, will not allow me to access them through the VPN, especially U.S. government sites. I don't know how they know unless they have a file for every internet user and know when a VPN is being used.

10. John Brunner

THAT is interesting. I wonder if there's a Country of Origin issue with the spoofed IP address.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I usually use an IP from the U.S. when surfing U.S. sites. I don't know what the NSA knows...probably the bathroom schedule of everyone here.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's more likely that they want to easily know exactly where you're accessing them from.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

So they can tell when you're accessing them with a VPN?

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes. The addresses of VPNs are public so websites can chose to block requests coming from them.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The forum software includes options to block IP addresses from known spam IPs and VPNs, as VPNs used to be used primarily by hackers or people creating new accounts after being banned. I do block spam IPs but I do not block VPNs here. These days, I think VPNs are used mostly by people who are afraid of being tracked. If I ban someone and they sneak back in under another name, it's not something I will condone but, quite frankly, as long as they don't continue to do things to get them banned, no one is harmed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021