Does Anyone Know Anything About Kernel.com?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, May 25, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

If so------------Please explain to me in simple terms what it's all about

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

??? Sorry. I'm ignorant and know nothing.

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Try www.kernel.com

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

I was afraid you'd come back with something like that. Okay, later.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Other than clicking on their "About" page, I don't know what to say.

7. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Kernel methods are a process to analyze, mathematically, the phenomenon referred to as brain spikes. I can’t understand much of what it is, since I was a math major, and don’t have much biology experience. I believe it has to do with processes that analyze, these electrical impulses from the external to the internal human body.

A company called Kernel, founded by Bryan Johnson, is a brain-interface startup aiming, in the words of WIRED magazine, to “create a better human.” Kernel is building a noninvasive “mind, body, machine interface” to radically improve and evolve human cognition.

What is a brain spike? (I had to look it up). I found that it is an electrochemical signal that passes througha synapse, which is a minute junction in the brain that allowsa small electrical impulse to pass from one neuron to another, just as in a relay race when a baton is passed from one runner to the next. Neurons are cells within the nervous system that transmit sensory inputfrom the external to other nerve cells, muscle, or gland cells.These firings between the hundred billion or so neurons in our brain are referred to as brain spikes.

I found this to be interesting and somewhat “scary”. I think God made us correctly the first time. Nevertheless, there are those who think they can do a better job ---- my answer is “poppycock”.

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/how-one-entrepreneur-tackling-humanitys-most-pressing-problems

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's all Gobbledygook to me.

Faye Fox and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well next, they'll be wanting donations and your email address. I looked at all of it. Didn't make a lot of sense. Communication about something? I don't know any more thanwhen I first posted.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Imagine the arrogance of this statement on their website:

They have decided that something we understand very little of needs to be improved, AND that they are gonna do it. It frightens me when dollars are thrown at this stuff.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

-They want to create a helmet so "we" can use our brains to control machines (and I guess other stuff)
    -They think they are gonna unravel the secrets of the human mind
    -They say that they are gonna "improve the brain"

If they want to use my brain, they're gonna have to power wash it first.

12. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The reason I said "scary" in my post above is that the ultimate goal seems to be a "brain-computer-interface" (or BCI).

It seems that we are on the verge of a new age, which could be called the age of instant, all inclusive knowledge, such as having the brain to absorb any knowledge, on any subject, and completely internalize it. (such as scan the entire internet without a computer, because the brain WILL be a computer - if they succeed)

At this site, its too long to follow, but just scroll down to conclusion at the bottom and read it.
    https://www.nanalyze.com/2020/09/kernel-brain-computer-interface/

Too much for me to contemplate (unless they put one of those "helmets" on me)!

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In Johnson’s defense, some of the neurological applications he’s introducing aren’t that far out of bounds.
    We already have cochlear implants and an implant to help give the blind the ability to see so a chip to replace dead brain cells and bridge the gaps for Alzheimer’s, stroke or dementia patients is pretty incredible.
    He admits that the venture to create that type of chip is probably years in the making but I’m sure an MS patient could find some hope with that kind of technological promise.

Along that same vein is the potential for a tech / brain interface whereby someone like Stephan Hawking will be able communicate directly by computer.

Granted, there are probably several downsides depending on who is minding the information and whom will benefit the most from such advances and how those advances would be used.
    Seems like for every bit of good that comes out of the tech world there’s always someone who will use that same tech for some nefarious personal gain.