Downloading A Blank Musical Staff

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Dear Ken,

There are times when I hear a piece of music and would like to know the title.

I'm able to play the piece from memory on my piano, and can easily write down the notes I played, along with the Key Signature and Dynamic Markings.

If I could download a blank musical staff, I could write the notes on the lines and spaces, using keyboard graphic marks for 1/4, 1/2, full notes, and rests.

I have a piece right now that I can present in "note letter" form, which may be hard for some to follow, but here it is: It's a short classical piano piece, possibly by Mozart or Liszt.

(It's in the key of C, slow waltz tempo)
    G....EFD...D...D
    A....F#GC...C...C
    E....C#DF...F...F
    B....BCE...C...G

If you're familiar with these simple starting notes, then you might know the title. It's really a child's piano practice piece!

Thanks.
    Hal
    078.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Thomas Stearn likes this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thomas,

I would like to download a blank musical staff not to print out, but to place as a post on the Forum, or as a Favorite website, with the freedom to place notes on the staff.

Maybe this would be available as an APP or something...

That example I included was from Chopin, I think.

Danke,
    Hal

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you download a blank musical staff page from the internet, print it out, and then put the notes on it that you want to share, you can take a picture of the finished page and upload it just like you do any other picture , @Hal Pollner .

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If I remember correctly @John Brunner has exhibited some computer keyboard feature that he uses to type in musical notes. I’m not sure if it’s a “world” key feature whereby one can go from one keyboard to another but it’s worth asking anyway.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do , but here are two sites to start with:

Download MS Word black staff paper

More complicated online composition site with tutorial vid

The notes I do that @Bobby Cole is referring to ♪ ♫ are merely copied/pasted pictures of notes I grabbed from websites. They are not part of a composition program.

edit to add: That second link is for purchased software, not a free online tool.

What @Yvonne Smith recommended might be easiest: get some blank staff paper, white your stuff out with pencil, take a pic, and upload the pic.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

8. John Brunner

Those are handy to have. As the instructions state, you need to type the number on a keypad (looks like a phone touch-pad) and not on the keyboard (the numbers that are on a row above the letters.)

I've found a staff template for Word that you can type into, but the only font I see that has notes does not include rest marks or whole notes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  9. John Brunner

I put this in a search engine "free music writing software online" and came up with a bunch of results. Your best bet is to wade through them to see what meets your needs.

As you know, be wary of anything that asks you to download a file.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

From another thread, Staffpad: Music Notation Software (LINK)

I would love to have this software to play with, but it requires a fancy laptop with surface pen capabilities, which was very expensive at the time, but now appears much cheaper. Hmmmm...

(best to link to YouTube site and view in theater, or full screen, mode)

11. John Brunner

Without me going through that "Do You Play a musical Instrument" thread to get the answer...do you play an instrument, Nancy? Have you composed before?

eta: Guitar & piano???

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I can play the piano. That's all. I would never be able to compose anything.

At the time I wanted to write the melody of a song and add my own harmonizing notes, the arrangement, designed for a guitar.

My dream was to learn the guitar. I can read music, but have a hard time reading goofy guitar music. I wanted to translate it to regular staff notation and be able to play a guitar from that.

That dream is slowly fading. Guitar is MUCH more difficult than piano, imo.

Do you play any instruments? You probably mentioned it already. :oops:

13. John Brunner

I grew up playing trumpet, and keep telling myself to take piano lessons, just for grins.

I cannot read bass clef.

I bought a guitar when I was in my late teens (I think it's a required right of passage), but never got beyond plinking out Red River Valley.

That software is intense!!

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yes, Nancy...I play a few instruments :

I play the Piano, Bass, Guitar, Clarinet, and Saxophone fairly well, but I just "fool around" with brass instruments, which my Granddaughter plays really well in her high school orchestra as First Chair Trumpet!

I can pick out tunes from memory and play them fairly well. ("Playing by Ear" is what some people call it!)

I can read music, but I'm so slow at transferring the notes from the score to the instrument, that I just forget it and play from acquired skills.

Hal 152 (3).JPG

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Does anyone on the Forum have a computer which accepts a Microphone input?

This would simplify things for me by having members hear what I have in question, just by listening to my piano version of it.

I have a regular Mike and stand, but it has a Mike cable which my desktop computer has no socket for.

Incidentally, I discovered what I was looking for by sampling some of Chopin's simple pieces, and found that his simplest composition was "Prelude in A Major", which I can play in the key of C Major!

I know you have all heard it...Google it!

Hal

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020