Dreams

Discussion in 'Dreams & Interpretations' started by Bill Boggs, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been dreaming more lately. For some good while, a few years, most of my dreams concerned being lost or looking for a job but that seems to be trending in a different direction. In my more recent dreams I have traveling, mostly visiting family members or going somewhere and bumping into some family member.

That type of dream is not unusual. What seems to be different in my dreams is that all the family members I have seen in my dreams have passed on. They are dead. I think this must be some unconscious association with my age or my recent heart attack and or the fact we are treating my arteries with medication which may or may not do any good at all. I really don’t know.

I’m not an interpreter of dreams. I know of no one who is. But if I were some kind of mystic who attempted to convey some logical meaning of what the mind churns up, I might say I am in the throes of preparing my self for my demise. That’s only one possible interruption although it has no basis in logic. We cannot always say what our two sided mind will lay bare for our mental perusal.

My dreams along this vein have not been unpleasant. They were merely dreams until I found myself thinking about them after I awoke from sleep. I began to wonder what a psychiatrist might say about them or say I was sitting in a restaurant, having some lunch, and the New York Madam walked in, and after looking around a moment, she stared straight at me and said, “Somebody has been wondering about their dreams. I can help, I communicate with the dead.”

Then, supposing I raised my hand, what then might she say?

I awoke from a dream this afternoon (I often take a nap) a bit perturbed because someone who I cannot name and myself were looking for a certain individual and could not find him. Thinking this individual might have an inside track and be willing to assist me in a certain matter I continued my search.

Somewhere, I bumped into a relative who had passed on some years before and we chatted briefly before I continued on. I was unsuccessful in finding this individual, don’t remember who he was nor do I remember the guy who was tagging along with me. Further, I don’t recall where I was searching although the place did seem quite familiar to me. The dream, of course, was much more involved but you get the gist.

I have found myself thinking from time to time, it is a sad state of affairs when someone does not have enough going on in his world, that he must write about some silly dream. All I can do is raise my hand and confess, “I am guilty.”

Anyone, is there some meaning here?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is interesting that you mention this, @Bill Boggs . I have also noticed that I seem to dream more about people who have already passed away, than I used to do. I also wondered if that had some signifigance or not.
    Sometimes, I know that they are really dead, even though they are alive in my dreams; but that never seems to disturb me as a signifigant problem when I am dreaming about them.
    My age is another interesting thing, and it is hard for me to tell what age I am in the dream, beyond the fact that I am an adult and not a child.
    I sometimes dream that I am still living in the house where i grew up, and my parents are both alive and still living there, but I am not dreaming that I am still a child, just that my parents are there.

Other people in my dreams can be just about any age, it seems, especially my children. Sometimes one will be an adult, and another one is still a little 6 year old in the dream.
    Occasionally, I am doing things in the dream that I know that I can't do anymore, and it will pop into my head that I am now 71 and can't go galloping horses down some forest trail; but I just gallop along anyway as if that didn't really matter.
    Most of the people that are now dead that I dream about are people who were close friends or family members; so they would have been people that I dreamed about when they were alive, too. I finally decided that since the same people have been in the dreams, both before and after they passed away, that maybe it really isn't any more signifigant than how old I am in the dream.
    But, who knows.........

Bill Boggs and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not a dream interpreter, either, Bill. But I'm thinking that the dreams might be your subconscious mind remembering your life with family and friends. You say they are not unpleasant. Maybe what you are looking for is a meaning to it all. I think that happens to us sometimes as we know we are approaching the end of our life.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I have dreams that was of the people who passed in my family right after they passed. Then I have dreams so far long ago of them for they passed in the 70's so now I dream of places that I have never seen at all nor have been to. It's odd dreams are when you think of it. I'm sorry to hear that you Bill had a heart attack. My Mom had a heart attack and she has a pacemaker. She doesn't dream of family that has passed on after she had her heart attack or pace maker yet. We have a new regiment to eat kiwi for it helps her heart. It's on sale at our local grocer Don Quiote Supermarket 4 for a dollar so I'm getting some for us today. Take care!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Funny, I was about to post this... this dream thing after a recent job searching dream until I discovered I had already posted it. Somebody did remind me I was all wore out and useless. Now here I am repeating or about to repeat myself. I'm sure that indicative of something.

But, but, I was searching for something else perhaps I might have posted that might be construed as an OBE. Maybe it's somethingI was thinking of writing. Sometime my facts are fluid.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Good point.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I think there is no meaning to it all. Not logical meaning. Anything else would have to be faith based, wouldn't it?

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

In a way I think you are right @Bill Boggs that those dreams are faith based. The past few years I also have been having many dreams of those who have passed on that I love...and those dreams are almost always of a continuing relationship with those loved ones, or of a time when I was younger and they were still the adults in my life.

A short time before my Mom passed from this earth she was having dreams of my dad who had passed many years before her. My Mom shared these dreams with me and she was like a young girl falling in love with my dad all over again....she told me that dad told her in her dreams that he was waiting for her and she felt the love they had for each other when they first knew that love.

There is a saying that when we die our whole life passes before us, but in faith I say that when we are preparing to leave this earth I think those that loved us during our lives and have gone before us...also prepare us for life and love after this earth too. It is my opinion that dreams are one of the ways they do this.

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Ahhhh, @Bill Boggs, I was just kidding you. :D I enjoy reading your posts. You still got IT, Kid!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

I once read that a lot of dreams are simply the mental images we get, as our nervous system calms down from the day's stress.

So, as the nerves release the electrical "signature" of stress...we "see" that stress played out in front of us, as a dream, with characters and scenes.

Things like being chased are images, with characters, of worry and fear. And, perhaps, other emotions as well, from the day.

And, perhaps other things as well.

It is said that in his dreams, Confucius talked with the ancient sages.

That sounds like a lot more fun than the dreams I have.

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Registered

I had another weird dream last night. I was standing under some kind of shelter with my loved ones. I think they were all children. We heard a sound like an airplane. We looked out and saw a long round object overhead. It was a missile of some kind bearing a nuclear warhead. It was going slowly. I gathered my loved one in my arms and turned away from the missile. (Like I thought that was going to help.) I started saying the 23rd Psalm because I knew we were about to die. Then there was silence. No explosion, no nothing. It just vanished. Then I woke up.

I need to stop watching the news. :)

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've always had a "Main Dream" during the night, I wake up a couple of hours before it's time to get up, then I have a completely different "Minor Dream." I've always remembered both dreams when I awake. I used to journal them just for grins. They appeared to be meaningless, just like most movies you gotta pay to see ;)

13. John Brunner

What's interesting is that in your dream you somehow knew what a nuclear warhead even looked like. But news that may have sparked such a dream began in the early 60s. At least you didn't shove your loved ones under a desk, telling them "This will protect you." :)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They even had a duck and cover song in the public service announcements.o_O

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

"When I was your age, we had desks that would protect us in a nuclear attack!"