Drink Simple

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have long enjoyed Sap! Maple Soda, but things seem to have been slow there since Dr. Fauci unleashed his virus upon the world, and it's usually not available. It has only recently become available on Amazon again, and there are always limited amounts on hand. I ordered some directly from their site once, a few months ago, but they never sent it, and I had to request a refund.

Instead, I ordered another brand, known as Drink Simple. It is advertised as a Sparkling Maple Water and indeed, the first ingredient is carbonated maple water, but the carbonation is very light so that it doesn't taste like a carbonated beverage.

The only ingredients are carbonated maple water, organic lemon juice concentrate, and natural cucumber essence, whatever that is. However, I can taste these ingredients in the opposite order. The cucumber seems to be the most noticeable taste, and I can easily detect a touch of lemon, but I don't taste the maple at all.

Maple water is as it comes from the tree, without boiling it down into syrup so I wouldn't expect it to taste like maple syrup, nor would I want it to, but I don't taste the maple at all.

Nevertheless, it tastes great. There are forty calories in a 12 fluid-ounce can, with no added sugars or sugar substitutes. Only the three ingredients.

I bought it on Amazon for $29.99/12 cans, which is the same fluid-ounce price as the Sap! Maple Soda, although Sap! is sold in cases of 16, rather than twelve.

From the Drink Simple site, I can see that they are now bottling it in a different kind of packaging, said to be sustainable, but in 16.9 fluid-ounce containers, while the stuff I bought on Amazon is bottled in cans.

Anyhow, I like both Sap! and Drink Simple, and will order more of both as they are available. The Sap! stuff tastes more like maple, while Drink Simple tastes more like cucumber, but both taste good.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Interesting.

I rarely drink anything other than coffee and water. Every once in a while I might have an iced tea at a restaurant, and will sub a bottled water for the soda if I have fast food.

I've never had any maple drinks.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

I feel good when I drink a lot of water but I get bored with water, so I try different things. I use flavor additives quite a lot to pep it up a little, but I really like maple water, and this is good too, although it doesn't taste like maple water, despite the fact that it is. My wife, on the other hand, hates it.

4. Ken Anderson

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Whatever floats your boat . I di see can of that Moxie at someplace down here , but cant remember where. Plus, there are now Moxie labeled trash bags and other products showing up I have never seen before.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

The Moxie trash bags are merely the rebranding of an existing product. These are the bags that best fit my tall kitchen trash can, and when the old name changed, I called the company to ask about it and was told they are the same product by the same manufacturer under a new label. I don't recall details, or if that business spanned a bunch of product lines. This all happened a few years ago. I buy them at Lowes.

Regarding that can of Moxie you referred to...I can't find reference to it in this thread. Maybe someone edited/deleted a post.

edit to add: I was just on Amazon looking at some of the stuff Ken mentioned, and saw a Box of Maine Gifts. There's a can of Moxie soda in it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’ll look for the Drink Simple but to be honest, other than coffee or iced tea, the only thing I drink is my own water based concoction that only has 10 calories per gallon with no sugar.
    It features all my electrolytes, essential and non-essential amino acids, 7 grams of vitamin C, Creatine and Macca Root.

Good stuff!

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

Care to point me to a recipe? I'm always looking for a non-sugar drink to replace my electrolytes in the hot weather. As it is, I drink water and take salt, magnesium & potassium. It's not perfect, but I'm not in extended arid conditions.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Sometimes I use (the easy way) *Hydra Surge* powder as the base. There are 60 servings for about 25 beans and since I apply it to a half gallon or even a gallon of water, each serving lasts most of the day and also covers the taste of the other ingredients.
    To that:
    20 grams essential amino acids (EEA’s).
    20 grams Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s).
    7 grams (7000 mg) vitamin C.
    *10 grams Alkaline Creatine. Creatine mono-hydrate is okay but in a standing solution it turns to Creatinine too quickly and is hard on the kidneys. See *Note
    1/2 gram of Niacin ( very optional and the dosage should be reduced to 50mg if you’re not used to it)
    20 grams of Macca Root *helps with the production of testosterone*.

*Note: Since the body already makes it, the use of supplemental creatine in any form should only be added if you’re pretty active, need more energy and are trying to build muscle.
    Though some say it has a dehydrating effect, it actually helps accumulate water and other muscle repairing elements to remain around the muscle fibers.
    Too much in any event might cause stomach cramps and a stool that can be shot through the eye of a needle at ten paces.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Thanks for that. I'll hang onto this for when the hot weather rolls around again. And I'll skip the creatine if I opt to make it myself rather than go with Hydra Surge...I am destined to be a forever ectomorph.

I am familiar with the niacin rush. I tried that route for a while in lieu of statins. Yeh, you wanna rip off every shred of clothing you're wearing.

Just to clarify, are those quantities for 1/2 gallon of water or an entire gallon?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't I remember that you have some acreage there in Maine with perhaps some maple trees? You can figure out the rest.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Depends.
    If I’m going to train hard I want to concentrate things a bit so I only use a half gallon. If I’m on a repair day and the workout isn’t meant to produce hypertrophy I use a gallon.

On the Niacin thing, when it is mixed well with the other ingredients then there’s no rush even when it’s for only a half gallon mix. During a good workout, the nitric oxide produced already expands the arteries, veins and capillaries but the niacin does a good job of keeping the capillaries clean from any buildup.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

it is something Ken use to drink..do not remember the post name

14. Ken Anderson

I've discussed Moxie here.

15. Ken Anderson

No sugar maples, though. We have a lot of birch trees though, so I might try my hand at that.