Drought Resistant Shrubs

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Anna Carlson, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Anna Carlson

Anna Carlson Member
    Registered

Good evening. Looking for suggestions on drought resistant shrubs that do well in clay soil, heat and high temps. Preferably low maintenance. Appreciated and have a blessed evening.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven't had much recent experience with this, but I have a past life. We would need to know what you want the shrub to do--hedge, accent, etc. Yucca will probably do if it is out of the way and you wouldn't have contact with it. Cacti of some kind may work as well, but we would need to know where you live to find a fit. There are many on here with more recent experience with such things.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have no personal knowledge on the subject, but this comes up on a Bing search: The Most Popular Drought Tolerant Shrubs, which suggests Russian Sage, Butterfly Bush, Blue Star Juniper, Lantana, Barberry, Virginia Sweetspire, Heavenly Bamboo, Bayberry, Cotoneaster, Burning Bush, and others.

4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’m not sure what you mean by drought tolerant. I mean this shrub will not do well in a dessert climate but it is extremely rugged. The guy below does describe it as extremely drought tolerant. It is also amazingly fragrant in late fall and the birds and bees love it. It is a very fast growing, rangy kind of shrub. It grows by a spurt of long runners (4-6 feet) every year. If you plant it too close to other trees and shrubs, it will quickly become entangled in them. I have 4 of them on my property and love them for what they are.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered