Drying Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Ellery, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a new one to me , with all your experimenting with drying foods @John Brunner
    What about this ? I couldn’t do it but if I had my own laying hens and got enough eggs I would try it

Don Harper likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's an interesting article. The author makes a good point regarding the risk of salmonella. She sets her dehydrator at 165°F (others do lower temps), but those dehydrator temps do not necessarily translate to the temp of the food. I've read that you can dehydrate sensitive foods at the higher temps for a few hours to get them started because of the cooling effect from the water initially evaporating off of the food. The food does not reach the dehydrator temp early on, so you can "crank it up" to speed up the initial drying process and then "crank it back down" to finish. So those eggs are gonna be in there for hours exposed to lower temps. The web says that you can "cook away" salmonella, so maybe her 165°F is sufficient...and pasteurization is a function of Time+Temp, so that 165°F may be a margin of safety.

Here is a pasteurization chart for sous vide (water bath) cooked eggs:

eggs.jpg

Note they can still be raw yet pasteurized. Sounds like a path to safe Egg Nog, huh? I do chicken breasts this method to only 140°F.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Harper

Don Harper Member
    Registered

Wow, I didn't know you could do that! Store-bought eggs, I think, will not work

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know why store-bought eggs would be any different.

By the way: Welcome to the forum, Don! If you care to, we have a place where folks can introduce themselves here.

Don Harper and Don Alaska like this.