Edit Or Delete Post

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Gena Martin, May 9, 2024.

1. Gena Martin

Gena Martin Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't see any link to enable me to edit or delete post.
    Is there a time limit ?
    thank you

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a time limit, but if you message me with what post you want deleted, I can do that for you anytime, @Gena Martin .

Sometimes, people get upset and start deleting a lot of posts if they are upset about something, and it disrupts the flow of conversation, so most forums put a time limit for editing and deleting a post.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

How do you cancel opening a reply by accident?

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

What do you mean? Are you Replying to a thread, so you have the original commented quoted in a new Comment box?

If that's the case, I just delete the text, leaving an empty Comment box. As an added measure, I click on the Drafts icon and then choose Delete Draft.

delete draft.jpg

Here's why I [sometimes] do that: The forum automatically saves your comments as you are typing them, and clears them out when you Post Reply. If you manually delete the text without then using Delete Draft, the next time you come back to that thread the comment box will be pre-populated with what was already in there that you manually deleted. Of course, you can delete the text at that time, but it can be annoying/distracting.

The benefit to having the forum automatically save your Draft (or you clicking Save Draft) is that you can start typing a response, Save Draft, close the thread, then go to different threads and read/reply (or go do research or just putz around) and re-open the thread and pick up your comment where you left off.

Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I have big fingers and on occasion.I will hit the reply without meaning too.And I just want to close the box.
    There was no typing involved, Just an accidental touch.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That technically does not "Open a box." It pre-populates the Comment Box that's always there with the quoted message. So my long answer above applies ;)

The short answer is "Just delete the text." That will leave the blank Comment box that's always there anyway.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.