Escaping From Jail Using A Deck Of Cards?

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Long ago someone told me that if you scraped off certain areas from playing cards, you could produce an explosive that could damage the bars of a cell, allowing escape...

Is this true or bunk?

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds like bunk to me. Never heard of anyone using that method in a
    jailbreak, nor anyone using cards for firecrackers. Sounds like a tall tale.

3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

MacGyver did ...... It is not too uncommon to do in spy shows and so forth that reveal a few of the 'secrets' , so-called.

The red color in the playing cards was a long time ago potentially explosive.... the ingredients was a known explosive - just very weak, unless focused/ concentrated properly to get the desired BoOm!

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Frank “the mad bomber” Sanoica is being called to the testing grounds!
    @Frank Sanoica, this query might be in your wheelhouse. I pray thee, blow up yon tower with the court fool or whatever card(s) thou pickest.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole

"Explosives" contrived from "common household commodities" is largely bullshit. However, I don't really know much from experience. Commonly found in foods, and on the medicine cabinet shelf, however, is Glycerine. Used in many prepared foods, household remedies. Buyable at most any drug store, but food grade expensive, ~ $5 per 4 oz. bottle. Then, ya need nitric acid, to nitrate it.

Nitrated Prestone (ethylene glycol antifreeze) is much better, but has drawback that it is more water soluble; you lose some purifying. But, it has lower freezing point (better). Nitrated glycerine is not water soluble, freezes easier (undesirable), both approx. equal in effect of use.

Take your pick.

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Red playing cards did have a compound in them that could explode, under the right conditions, or so I (also) read, many years ago. As the story I read went: This guy was sentenced to be hung, for murder, in a state pen. A day before his execution date, he pried a leg off of his prison cot, stuffed that leg full of red cuttings from his playing card deck, added some other common ingredients, put the pipe under his chin, and went to sleep. When they came to get him, after hearing an explosion, he was headless.

A more accurate account: https://i-p-c-s.org/faq/WilliamKogut.php

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

excerpt found in 45 seconds or less.

"General Knowledge
    Next Previous Random List
    Facts | March 19, 2018
    10 Explosive Substances In Everyday Items
    [​IMG]
    Erich Soders
    Explosive substances are all around us,

contained within several common household items
    related to cleaning, polishing, and medicine. Usually, explosive chemicals are used in small, relatively safe doses. However, bigger doses of these chemicals can be a serious threat under the right circumstances.

Terrorists have also learned to make explosives from everyday products. The main culprit might be the Internet, which provides easy access to the necessary information."

Thus, more than a decade ago, internet use to download and learn how to make homemade stuff, was greatly restricted....

It was amazing to see how many things in an average household or grocery store or feed store

can cause a big bang. No theory. Just facts.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I was always one to serve my term and be released according to the length of my sentence.

Hal

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dern. So I guess tonight’s entertainment is out. How about if we give a deck of cards to a suicide bomber? “NEWS BREAK! Suicide bomber with deck of cards blows himself up!!