Extraterrestrials As A Challenge To Religion Beliefs

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by D'Ellyn Dottir, Aug 11, 2021.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There has long been an idea circulated that if life on other planets was proven to be a reality, that it would shake up the religious beliefs held dear by humans. The thought is that if Earth and humans aren't the only presence of life in the universe, what does that say about the creation story. And fear is that more advanced civilizations and beings would necessarily alter the tenets on which religions on this world have been based.

What do you think? Could your religion accommodate extraterrestrial challenges, or would it create serious doubts about what you've invested your belief in?

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Would do noting to my beliefs because I don't believe there's life anywhere else.

3. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So even with extraterrestrials landing on your doorstep, you would need to deny their reality in order to maintain your beliefs? I think a lot of people might try the same.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't view that as a threat because I've always believed that there was intelligent life on other planets. In so much as the Bible is a history, it is a history of this planet and, in particular, the Hebrew people.

Faye Fox, Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Show me an extra-terrestrial and I'll think about it.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Vatican has assumed for decades that extraterrestrials exist, but I don't know much about other religions or denominations.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

Religion has always been dragged, sometimes kicking and screaming, into the reality of astronomy. They manage to weave the new findings into their stories. For instance, since we now know that the Earth isn't flat, the idea of a two- (Hades) or three-tiered universe or whatever the religion had for an afterlife (if it had one) has changed to whatever it is now. As for my religion, I'm an Atheist.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And why would it shake up my personal beliefs in an eternal creator?

When I look up at the night sky I’m already in awe of something that could not have been so perfectly done by accident so to me, the finding of intelligent life from other regions in the universe would simply add to that awe.

And, just to add to what @Ken Anderson posted, if we look closely at the old testament, we find the genealogy of Jesus throughout and in the new testament we have His birth, life, death, resurrection, ascension and the beginning of His church.
    Why would our Bible reflect His genealogy on another planet if indeed the necessity for his sacrifice was made on another planet?
    Other than verification of a theme or a bit of history, extreme redundancy isn’t found anywhere in the Bible: It would be wasted words so why would the writers be inspired to waste words about other life on other planets?

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The Bible speaks of UFOs and extra terrestruals in 10th chapter Ezekiel.read the whole chapter.
    God's Glory Exits the Temple
    …8(The cherubim appeared to have the form of human hands under their wings.) 9Then I looked and saw four wheels beside the cherubim, one wheel beside each cherub. And the wheels gleamed like a beryl stone. 10As for their appearance, all four had the same form, like a wheel within a wheel.…
    Berean Study Bible ·
    Also read other books relating to these Cheribims aka wheels.
    There is much mystery and science most of the church will not discuss. Like in Job and Isaiah that speaks of the earth hangeth upon nothing,how did they know this,most thought the earth was flat all they had to do was study the Bible.

ob: Who Can Understand God's Majesty?
    …6Sheol is naked before God, and Abaddon has no covering. 7He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth upon nothing. 8He wraps up the waters in His clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their own weight.…
    Berean Study Bible · Download Job 26:7

Or Isaiah 40:42 where he tells us the earth is round " the circle of the earth".
    All this was 1000s of years before science proved it to be true.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

God aalso knew about the atmosphere locking in the rain and waters.

Did you know that long as the earth has been here we have not lost one drop of water? This is amazing to me.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL. I used to reference that fact until I realized that the astronauts might dump some water into space prior to coming back to earth.
    Still, barring anything that man has done in space, what you wrote is indeed true.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yep leave it to us to mess up space aka heavens too.:)
    Wonder what the powers that be have to do with our weather aka HARP chemtrails and now they are talking of seeding the atmosphere with some kind of mineral I think it was.?
    Earth was made to sustain life and not just mans life but we were created with good and evil.Ao who knows?:confused:

Don Alaska likes this.