Failure To Provide For Retirement

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Richard Whiting, May 9, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know what in the world I was thinking. Certainly not about my retirement. Honestly, I never expected to live this long.

Back in 2005 I had a nice little house in the Florida Panhandle a good running SUV, I had shop full of tools which I had used to renovate my house. Best of all, I had a very, very low mortgage.

Then one day I ran into a fellow who was back in the states from the Philippines. He and I spent much time together during which he told me all about life in the P.I. and all of the women there who wanted a foreign BF.

At the time, I felt I needed a new love in my life and it looked to me that moving to the P.I. could be the answer to my prayers.

Well, to make a long story short, I sold my house, SUV and all else I owned and off I went in search of adventure and , hopefully a new love.

After living in the P.I for 7 years and spending most of my ready cash, I still had not found a true love. Yes, many GF's, but no true love. Whatever my fate was to be, it was not in the P.I.

I took off again and went on a short journey thru Hong Kong, and Thailand. Interesting but not my cup of tea.
    So, onward to Egypt where I spend 5 weeks touring all of the ancient monuments.

Fast forward to 2012. I ended up in San Diego and I was shocked to discover the incredibly high prices of rental apts. So, thinking that Tijuana was the right choice, I moved there. Certainly the relatively low cost of rentals persuaded me.

I must be a slow learner, because I still had not considered that an aging person could quickly lose his health.
    Now, at age 77 with diabetes T-2, a major bowel disease, nearly all of my hearing lost, and very very heavy leg pain on walking even a 1/2 city block, and all of my money gone, I am attempting to live on minimal SSA.

Now, I am stuck here. No where nearly enough money to return to the USA.

Some unknown health problem is keeping me from getting a full nights sleep. Every 2 hours I need to get up to pee and many times I just can't get back to sleep. Result, over-whelming fatigue all day long.

Heck, I can't even afford to pay for a doctor to diagnose my new issue with major leg pain . I had previously seen a U.S doctor who told me I had diabetes and IBS-D (the bowel disease).

If I had some way of living in a senior hosing complex, in the U.S, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. But the waiting list is 8-10 years long.

So, I am STUCK, just hoping I'll die silently, painlessly and QUICKLY. Hopefully in my sleep ?

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that certainly is a cautionary tale, Richard. So sorry you find yourself in this situation.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Richard Whiting, I am very sorry to hear of all of your problems. Not to add to it, but you're probably aware that diabetes can, and often does lead to kidney problems, which could account for the nightly trips to the bathroom. That's not necessarily it, of course. It could be a number of things. -- Healthline

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

You must have retired relatively young. How old were you when you went to the Philippines, Richard? And then you did some international travel. So at one time you had money. I guess you didn't fail to plan, you just did other stuff.

Funny, I was just reading a thread on this topic elsewhere and it seems that some high number of folks have put aside nothing at all. There are stories of doctors making $500k/years outspending that level of revenue and digging a pit rather than building for their future. I've worked with people like that...making $300k-$600k+ and one disruption in their jobs and they are screwed in short order. I managed the budget for a department of several hundred people, and hearing their tales of financial woe knowing how much they made was "enlightening." A recent Credit Karma survey says that 27% of those 60 and older have $0 set aside, and many of those with >$0 are woefully unfunded.

I think for many of us, timing is key. I've been laid off a couple of times in my life, imposing significant setbacks. My last job was a good one, and it lasted 10 years, I was able to put money aside and I sold a house I had lived in for over 30 years. But I also don't really spend much. I don't travel, I don't go out to places where I'd be spending money, etc. My entertainment is limited to walking my creeks and screaming at mockingbirds at 2AM, and the occasional meal out. I bought a new car a few years ago (a rarity for me), and I'll have it when I die. It replaced a 1990 Volvo, and my truck is nearly 20 years old.

I'm sorry you're in the spot you're in. I've mentioned that the men in my immediate family die in their 50s. Had I spent my money to that target date, I would be saying "Welcome to Walmart" in order to eke out a survival. I hope that somehow things turn around for you.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry to hear that you feel stuck. I think you could move to the U.S., but certainly not to San Diego or perhaps not to California at all. You might be able to afford the Florida panhandle again if you stay away form the beaches. Perhaps rural Georgia or Arkansas might be better, or Mississippi. Good luck to you.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  6. Richard Whiting

Registered

I went to the Philippines when I was age 60.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's actually one heck of a move, living in a foreign country for 7 years. Not many people have the guts to do that.

Don Alaska and Richard Whiting like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that most states have low income apartments and housing. I know we have that here in Alabama, and I remember that Washington and Idaho also have low income housing. California would probably have it, too; but it seems to be an overall expensive area to live in, so choosing a state where everything is cheaper would be to your advantage, @Richard Whiting .
    Did you say that you are living in your motor home ? You could drive it to one of the cheaper states , and if that is not possible for you anymore , then you might have to sell it and just get a plane or bus ticket and travel that way.

I do think that there are options for you, you just need to browse online and decide what will work the best for you. Look for low income housing. We have several other people on the forum that live in California, so they might be able to give you more information about low income housing that would be close to you. Once you got back into the US and can get doctor’s help , then you can start looking to see if you wanted to stay in California or move elsewhere . I think that @Denise Evans lives in Northern California , and she knows a lot about what might be available in that state .

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just an FYI: Low income housing isn't always the safest places to live. Low income housing can also mean Sec. 8 housing, which means illegal drugs of all kinds.
    I know that low incoming housing is all that many people can afford, but it just isn't the best kind of living situation.

Don Alaska and Richard Whiting like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Illegal drugs are everywhere, not just in low income housing, and many of the senior apartments accept low income people, and would probably be one of the safest places to live since seniors are not usually out there dealing drugs.
    Just because the apartments are for low income seniors would not make it a bit more dangerous. I had friends who lived in an apartment complex for seniors that accepted low income people, and it was very safe, as well as almost being like a complete facility for people there. It had a library, swimming pool and exercise area, community rooms where they had birthday parties and other social gatherings, and a lovely landscaped yard for the residents to enjoy.
    Not everyone there was low income, but the facility accepted low income, and places that do that have a subsidy from the government, so many regular apartments do this nowdays, not just the dedicated government ones like section 8.
    Also, those people are monitored, and can be immediately evicted if they are doing drugs or causing any kind of problems.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Richard--just get in line with the 10 million illegals and walk across the border. Biden will roll out the welcome mat, put you up in a hotel and give you a cellphone.

(Just being a wise-ass here. :p)

12. Richard Whiting

Registered

Ha Ha. Yeah, that would be great.

The number one thing I need is a San Diego County address. Obviously, I can't afford any place of actual residence. If I had a car, I could claim I was living in it. That would at least give me Medi-Cal medical benefits AND they would pay Medi-Care insurance and I'd get Calfresh (food credit card in the aprox amount of $120/mo. None of that would get me any apt, BUT it would be a 1st step toward an apt. in San Diego County.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Please go and look at Dr Berg youtubes. Don't give up on them too quickly. He has made revisions over the years but is right-on, for the most part.

Richard Whiting and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The problem with relocating and claiming low income are all the hoops you have to jump through. Go to each states' sites and check out what is required.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Richard Whiting

Registered

Did you have any specific Dr Berg youtube video in mind ? There are so many of them.