Figured Out My Grocery Bill

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is one of the frustrations about shopping online from Walmart.
    Walmart seldom puts anything on sale, although their base price is usually reasonable. When we had Kroger nearby, I loved it because Kroger always had the half-price markdowns, and I would go several times a week to get the items they marked down on those days.
    Usually it was before and after the weekend shoppers, so Thursday, Sunday, and Tuesday, Krogers marked down fresh foods like vegetables, bread, and sometimes milk and meat items.
    I could save quite a bit by shopping that way, but they closed our Kroger and the only grocery store close by is Walmart.

We have an IGA that has great sales, especially on meats; but it is across town, so we only go maybe once a month when I see that they have a sale on the meat that Bobby likes.

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Food Lion used to put some of their meat at a reduced price a little after 6:00 in the afternoon. Especially ground beef. The meatcutter told me that it was because they weren't allowed to keep it until the next day. I would go by there when I left work at 6:00 and get some real deals. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I avoid eating the super market meats that are so processed and the cheapest stuff.

I've cut a lot of meat out of my diet and when I buy some it's organic or close to organic.
    Just thoroughly enjoyed Stouffers Spinach Souffle cooked in my oven and a nice piece of salmon from our market deli, my neighbor brings me some of the filets and they are cooked and I just have to heat, but I don't believe they are the premier sockeye or wild...But the two together are a delish light meal.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my!! I don't know what I'll do if I can't buy from my Safeway market now that I've heard how horrific non-organic meats might be. You're so very fortunate to be able to eat such healthy foods!!

5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

There are so many places that I don't spend my valuable money on...like the tech world stuff...Plus it's only me.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sounds like you should come up for a visit during the summer months @Denise Evans. Halibut is best early--late May probably, and King/Chinook begin to run then as well. Sockeye is next and Coho is late summer. Here rockfish and halibut are two different fish, but both are deep water feeders. Halibut fishing is just work. It is like pulling a barn door up through 200+ feet of water.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm very lucky to get what I can here in town. I have to spend a bit more, I'm in California, but being alone, I just have one mouth to feed.

8. Denise Evans

Registered

omygosh, I just realized that I wrote salmon snot instead of Salmon snob. I just have to do my edited before I click on "post reply". I get in too big a hurry, LOL!!

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I went on a charter boat fishing trip here, on Lake Michigan about 15 years ago. Each in the family caught one fish. The lake trout and salmon were about as tall as we were. (heads on)
    Uhmmmmm I didn't have a freezer back then. Had to run right out on have one delivered on the way home. Emergency expenditure? It never occurred to us we would catch anything. Turns out there was a warning back then about the pollution of the lake and that we were not supposed to eat the fish very often.:( pretty sure the pollution is not any better.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't you feel so special to know that your entire life you have been eating bugs in your food, and tainted meats and fish that are claimed to be healthy ? That the water you suck down from the plastic water bottle is filling you with micro plastic particles. But we all are still 'kick 'en it' in spit of it all.:cool:

Jenna Parnellson likes this.