Files Versus Photos

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Barb Eree, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Barb Eree

Barb Eree Member
    Registered

I have much in my photo album on my Kindle but I find you can only upload files. Is it possible to convert one of your photos into a file?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You can just drag and drop a photo from your computer into the post field, or click the "Image" icon above and navigate to where your photo is stored. Large photos will have to be reduced to 1000 pixel-width or smaller, however.

3. Barb Eree

Barb Eree Member
    Registered

Thank you I'll give it a try. It says URL. Where do I find that in my photos?

4. Ken Anderson

I'm sorry, that was wrong, hadn't used the "Image" feature in a while and I forgot that that one is for displaying images that are hosted elsewhere. The easiest way is to drag and drop the photo into the post field.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

"Upload a File" includes these types (extensions) from your device:

.zip ZIP file
    .txt Text file
    .png Image file
    .jpg Image file
    .jpeg Image file
    .jpg Image file
    .gif Image file
    .mp3 Sound file
    .wav Sound file

This forum does not allow you to upload videos from your device.

After you Upload a file by using either Upload a File or Ken's suggestion of drag 'n drop, it will appear at the bottom of your draft comment. When you post your comment, Members can click on any non-image file to open it. Image require further action on your part if you want them to appear in the body of your comment. You must click on either Thumbnail or Full Image to have it appear in your comment.

Thumbnail
    displays a tiny pic in your comment that members must click on to enlarge, like so:
    Guinea hens reduced.jpg

Full Image
    displays the full image in your comment, like so:
    Guinea hens reduced.jpg

The Image icon in the toolbar is used to display pictures that are located on another website. "URL" is another name for the web address of the picture. You copy that address and paste it into the Image URL field. This is a sample url: https://prideforpaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/MaleDog.jpg

On most computers, you can copy the url of an image that's on a website by right-clicking on the image and choosing "Copy image link" from the drop-down list.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Barb--my Kindle is simply an e-reader; do you mean a Fire tablet? I looked at the options on the photo app on my Fire but I don't see how to "drag and drop" on that tablet. I'll do some googling and see if I can figure it out.

Anyone else using a Fire tablet who can advise?

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I see that photos I take with my Fire tablet create files with the "HEIC" extension, which apparently isn't supported by SoC. I'd need to download an app to convert the file to .jpg or something.

8. Ken Anderson

My iPhone creates photo files with the HEIC extension, which are easy enough to convert even in the default Preview application on a Mac. HEIC.online has an online app for converting HEIC files to PNG or JPEG, however. I have several Kindle Fires but I don't use them in lieu of a computer so I'm not so familiar with what they can do. I see references to dragging and dropping in a Kindle Fire but I have never tried doing that. Maybe someone else here is a Kindle Fire power user, otherwise, I'll see if I can figure it out.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Same here. I had to make a photo with the Fire camera so I could test it. (Awful camera, BTW.) From the Fire Photos, I find no way to "drag and drop," or even copy/paste. I should spend some time learning more Fire features, but I mostly use it as an e-reader or to play card games.

10. Ken Anderson

I like my Kindles, but I use them for books and an occasional solitaire game. Photos can be moved from the Kindle to a computer, but it requires a USB adapter, which costs about $10, I think. I bought one but, since I am likewise unimpressed with the Kindle's camera, I rarely use it. There's probably a way to access your Kindle files from the cloud but I haven't looked into that.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If you have your photos saved in Amazon Photos (or in Google photos), you can easily access them from an apple device. I never took any pictures with my Kindle, I only used it for reading. I finally realized the the iPad Mini was far superior for that, too; so I gave my Kindle away a few months ago to a lady who lives down the street and she and her granddaughter love it.
    I use the free Photo Editor app to do any cropping and rotating, and such before I upload the photo on SOC.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't know if Barb uses other devices, Apple or otherwise. It's simple to access Amazon Photos from any device but the question is how to "drag and drop" a photo from Barb's Fire tablet (I assume not a Kindle reader) to SOC. I don't store photos on Amazon Photos or on my Fire tablet so I'm stumped.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm not sure Barb cares about drag & drop. She saw that the system says "Upload Files," and didn't realize that the term "Files" includes pictures. She asked about converting her pics to "files," but [obviously] does not need to. Then she went to the Image icon thinking that would upload pics from her system. I think we raised drag & drop. Her questions may be answered.

14. Ken Anderson

I posted a link to an online site that would convert HEIC files to JPEG or PNG, but she would need to upload the file there, which might include drag-and-drop.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, we raised drag and drop because it's usually the simplest way to upload a photo.

John Brunner likes this.