Finding My Way Around

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Don Roles, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having just joined this forum I was looking for a place to kind of introduce myself and after a bit of a search found it here, so here goes!

Originally from a series of small villages in England ranging from on the south coast near Gosport to the village of Langley in Essex and then emigrated to Canada some 50 odd years ago I now spend my days hiding in my 30 acre Managed Forest in SW Ontario with my latest of a long line of four legged companions and my supportive son. Shadow is a Collie cross and the first dog that I got whilst still a pup, all the rest being older adopted dogs, and is most certainly keeping me a little more active than previously. I have owned this rugged forested property where my wife (now passed) and I personalty built our modest home, sided in pine sawn on site from our own lumber, for 25 years now having spent a number of years previously searching for affordable acreage that could be built on.

I hope to be a regular contributor to this forum once I read more of the threads and become more familiar with the topics and users, being a life long 'country boy' expect to see more about the 'Rural' life.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Don Roles. I grew up in the very rural UP of Michigan, not so far from Ontario. We would cross the border into Canada sometimes because we could then buy some of the larger firecrackers, such as M-80s and cherry bombs, that had been made illegal in Michigan. At that time, border crossings from Michigan to Ontario were uncomplicated, even for high schoolers and, while they would ask about explosives coming back, they never actually checked to see if we had any. I am in Maine now, nearer Quebec and New Brunswick.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum @Don Roles. Anxious to see what you post of the rural life in the North.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome @Don Roles It's good to hear that you are "not out of the woods yet"!o_O

5. Don Roles

Registered

Thanks for the welcome folks, as I said at the top I am still finding my way around so perhaps someone can answer this question. What is the criteria used for the order in which the 'Recent Posts' and 'New Posts' are displayed, the most recent posts do not appear at the top of the list with sometimes a day old or more post showing up above a more recent post.?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They are displayed chronologically, with those with the newest posts appearing on top. Although the threads themselves may be old, when there is a new post, it will appear on top. New Posts will only show those that have new posts in them that you haven't already read, while Recent Posts will show all of those with new posts, whether you've read them already or not.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Welcome from Virginia, Don.

I sit on 51 acres, and it's pretty rural surrounded by farms, but hardly isolated. Walmart is 5 miles away as the crow flies.

Your profile default is likely set for you to "Watch" a thread once you've posted in it. That means you'll get email notifications when someone else posts in it. You can also click on Watch Thread if you don't post in it so you will receive notifications when someone posts in it.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi from Wisconsin!
    My hubby wanted a big house (three bathrooms raising all girls) So he bought one just before all the girls grew up and left.:confused:
    I wanted a farm and got an inheritance so have a nice small one with barns and pastures, gardens and piney woods. It is my heaven. I don't have equines any more and miss them. Only sheep to keep the grass cut a little.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Don Roles

Registered

Help Ken! Having no success in posting a picture from my computer, 'image' asks for image url but pics I have are not 'on line' so no url? A simple cut and paste from my pic and to the 'insert' does not work either, need some guidance on this. Thanks

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

You can Drag 'n Drop directly to the comment area. Have you tried the Upload A File button in between Post Reply and More Options? You can upload a file and leave it as an attachment to your comment, or use the option to embed in the body of the comment as a Thumbnail or as a Full Image. Embedding options are only available for graphics. PDFs and WAV files cannot be embedded...they are left as attachments.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Don Roles

Registered

testing....! That Upload a file worked, thanks John, was just too easy for me eh!
    bda81ef27962de45dbd2bd350b69e40d_wave-hello-clipart_370-300.gif

12. John Brunner

We don't know what we don't know, huh?

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to SOC From long island new york
    Tony