Firefox

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I finally figured out how to display my bookmarks on the Bookmarks Toolbar. First, make sure the toolbar is set to "always show" or "show on new tab." Then right-click somewhere in the toolbar till the little toolbar menu drops down; select Customize Toolbar. When the box of icons pops up, drag the Bookmarks Toolbar Items icon to the toolbar, then close the tab. Voila. I just don't understand why they disappeared unless it has something to do with the way they rearranged those stupid toolbars.

upload_2021-6-5_3-10-34.png

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is considered to be less monitored by big tech that is controlled by China. If it was really a better patriotic option I think it would disappear just like Parler. I once used Firefox, but was lured away by all the features Google Chrome offered. Every time I have tried to use it again, I become frustrated. I am beginning to think Firefox has been infiltrated and has internal sabotage. There seems to be a conspiracy against the name Fox, sniff sniff.

Joe Smith likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks. Actually, that toolbar has been there on my Firefox but I've not really used it. As I said, this is the first upgrade where any of the settings have been changed...as far as I recall.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I got a chrome (because of disruptions with out of date tech) but only sign on as a guest and use startpage as my browser. I type in the addy for everything and shut everything down when I am done. No cookies or records. I keep getting notices that I am in only as a guest as if that is a bad thing that I won't have any bookmarks etc. But I don't go to too many places. I have trouble with email unless I use gmail which I don't generally. I go through a local server. google doesn't like what I do.
    I am not a terrorist or anything. I just am contrary, I guess. I don't belong to facebook and I write checks.
    Yes, I know I will have to join this century... eventually

5. John Brunner

I live in a area where there are lots of homes that have never had internet...never had email. Still others have dial-up.

I'll have to try Startpage. I've never heard of it.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's Google without the spying. Search results differ because it's not calculating your location into the algorithm.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My sister and brother-in-law in rural south Georgia have never had internet. :eek:

8. John Brunner

By "location" do you mean "nation"?

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The others with a VPN?

10. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The others with a VPN?

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember about 20 years ago that my hubby went to the library to use the internet. I think I liked that better. We are like addicts now.
    I was at a Batteries plus store once and thought a guy was going to have a heart attack because they were going to have to send his phone out for repairs. I have dropped a phone in the toilet once and lost one in the hay. I now use a flip phone and a laptop and a landline, all of which I can leave at home. (Tracfone have very inexpensive phones.)
    However, I do check my email daily
    If I really need a friend fix, I call one or walk through the woods to next door.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Not sure what you're asking, Joe. You can use a VPN with most browsers. I think Firefox supports an add-on called "Nord" but I'm not familiar with it.

I occasionally use Opera which has built-in VPN but I always default back to Firefox; just a personal preference.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  13. John Brunner

The thing about smartphones and cell phones these says are that people no longer have land lines. Imagine if your only rotary phone went down and they had to send it out for repairs, leaving you without any telephone at all for 2 weeks. The loss of texting and mobile internet are merely incremental heart attack material.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

No. Location. Where you live. Country, state, city, and street address.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm not liking the new Firefox on my Macbook. Somehow it doesn't look sharp and clear, and I found some other complaints about it and how to adjust "font smoothing" or some crap. So since I have no interest in tweaking a stupid browser to make it look like it should on this display, I'll stick with Safari.

John Brunner likes this.