Firefox

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I like choices. Never heard of safari. I will look into it. Thank you. I am sick of google and amazon having more control than some governments.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Safari is the default browser in Macs.

3. Mary Stetler

Registered

thank you. That lets me out. I don't have any macs. But I keep checking.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Also goo is very censored. Results while looking for the solution to the virus that was used for a century, 2 years ago, brought a few good results on google after the first two or three pages (20 or 40 sites),
    while duckgo results gave 38 good results (from Europe Medical Clinics that defeated all the virus troubles with vitamin c et al)
    in the first 40 sites, at the time.
    I think duck go may be censored somewhat more now, and most forums and webpages have been, and they do not hesitate to display it - the red banner on top of the page stating they delete anything true. (or in their words, anything bad about the covid deception).

5. Jeff Elohim

Registered

BIG SMILE.

Reminds of 'Little Red Riding Hood' , THANKS !

Can be good to have neighbors who are living and breathing and not bots and not electodes, yes !

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

For my own edification I searched for a Windows version of Safari, since there used to be one, and found this on the Apple website:

So you are correct, you cannot get it.

7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

I buy an inexpensive mac every year or two on ebay or amazon or craigslist.
    Only one out of ten was not what it was supposed to be, and a refund was given soon thereafter.

I've used older macs for over ten years 'successfully' (with no problems other than sometimes getting a blurb on the screen saying to update, which I usually cannot do and just ignore it) .

Safari is still being used by however many thousands or millions or whatever mac users -
    I did not even know my version until just now >>

upload_2021-6-13_19-54-20.png

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I got the newest Firefox (106.0) recently and so far I'm liking it. The new colors are really nice and I'm getting used to "dark mode." I particularly like that I have a Firefox account, so if I log onto it on my iPad or phone I get all my tabs, passwords, etc. synced between the devices. Very handy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that because if shortage of qualified worker a lot of iutfits have turned to installing things “on the fly” instead of testing well. I’m sure that my current cc bank, which I used to work for, is doiing stuff “on the fly”.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

And then you can't contact a real person for about two or three days for help. If someone is stealing your identity, that isn't help.

11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never had much luck with those user forums. I hate all the browsers but I use Firefox for a browser and Thunderbird for email. Half of the browsers and search engines seem to be hooked into Google, which wants all your personal and browsing info. I just assume that privacy is impossible.

Have you selected to show or not show the bookmarks toolbar in the options? I had a runaround with all that and the overflow but I elected for the simplest appearance and don't use that bar anymore. I'm not that knowledgeable about all this stuff. When the upgrades are harder to use than the previous version it's the browser programmers that are screwing up.

Gates long ago partnered with the intel agencies to make sure there were multiple back doors for those agencies to get into your business. I think half of these frequent software fixes are meant to overcome the various third party security programs that are meant to give us some privacy. They're installing new, improved bugs as they supposedly fix the old ones.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to reinstall Windows for a year.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, but that post of mine was a year and a half ago. The issue has long since been resolved. :D

Dwight Ward likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Another version of Firefox; another aggravation. :mad: I got automatically updated last night and now my laptop is creeping, taking forever to load websites. If I switch to Edge (gasp), it works perfectly and everything loads fast. I'm not in the mood to tweak a damn browser for 4 hours just to try to figure out WTF is going on to slow it down, so I'm moving to Edge and considering other options. cursing.gif Stupid Mozilla.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Firefox used to be my go-to browser, but it has suffered bloat for a few years now. When they came out with a Mac version of Edge, I tried it and liked it. However, it kept changing my cookie defaults and that was annoying. So, I'm back to Safari, which is actually okay.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I like Edge OK; it's intuitive and really fast compared to Firefox. What I don't like is that it keeps prompting me to log on with my Google account and that kind of crap (which is why I don't use Chrome...ugh.)

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.