Fondant Potatoes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by John Brunner, Feb 23, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Another new recipe I tried tonight. There are very good and pretty easy. Once they get in the oven, they finish unattended for about 1/2 hour. Crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle.

Fondant potatoes.jpg

Fondant Potatoes

4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds total)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons canola oil

3 cloves garlic, smashed
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
    4 sprigs fresh thyme (or any combination of thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano)

3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth

Peel 4 russet potatoes. Trim the ends, then cut each potato in half crosswise. You want to yield 8 flat-ended potato cylinders about 2” tall. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature to remove excess potato starch. Meanwhile, heat the oven and prepare the garlic and butter.

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.

Drain the potatoes, rinse with cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Season the potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the potatoes cut-side down in a single layer and cook until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip the potatoes using tongs and add the garlic, butter, and 4 sprigs thyme. (If the potatoes are sticking to the pan, let them cook 2 to 3 minutes more until they easily release before flipping.) Cook until the butter is foaming and starts to brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth.

Bake until the potatoes are fork tender and lightly browned on the sides, 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with more whole thyme sprigs before serving (if desired), drizzled with the pan juices.

Tips:

>Use potatoes that are consistently shaped so they cook at the same rate.
    >Can soak cut potatoes overnight in fridge, if desired. Cover bowl with plastic wrap.

***********************************​
    pdf attached

Attached Files:

Susan Paynter likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

They look good.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

They were delicious.

Got the recipe in my email this morning, and off to the grocery store I went.

I should have read other recipes. I cut these a little too thin/short (less than 2") trying to get uniformity, so they were not in the oven long enough for the sides to get crisped and brown. I also should have found slightly fatter spuds. They were done in about 20 minutes, should have cooked for 35 minutes. They were still good. I'll make them again.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Looks very good.

John Brunner likes this.