Foods That I Will Probably Never Be Able To Eat Again

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Due to dental problems, health problems, and other dietary concerns, there are probably foods that we won't ever be able to eat again, or are unlikely to.

For me, off the top of my head, these would include...
    • Beef Jerky
    • Corn on the Cob
    • Peanut Brittle
    • Bit-O-Honey

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I still have good teeth, so I don't have any restrictions there. I have noticed that dairy causes a bit of "gastronomical distress" lately. I ate a small bowl of ice cream a few nights ago that caused a lot of churning and gurgling in my "innards." :(

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

The only thing I've noticed that consistently upsets my stomach now is frozen french-fries. It must be something in the oil they use. Or maybe I just eat too many at once.

The only thing I have trouble eating concerning teeth are Clark bars (also Butterfinger). The stuff inside sticks to my teeth and I have to pry it off. It doesn't stop me though. They are good.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve always had problems with my teeth. I have probably broken 5 teeth in the past 5 years. These last two were a pain, just too much for my insurance to cover it all in one calendar year. Had to see regular dentist multiple times, endodontist, oral surgeon, for extraction, a 3 tooth bridge and a cap on a 4th tooth. I hate my teeth.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sorry you have such problems, @Thomas Windom

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If my dentures actually fit, I imagine I could eat just about anything including corn on the cob and nuts.

As it is, I’m pretty used to gummin’ it but tough as they are, my gums can’t handle raw nuts and of course, without front teeth, I can’t do the corn on the cob thing.
    Now do note that I just gummed a piece of fruit cake and because the nuts were baked in, I chewed those up easily.

Faye Fox, John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Right off hand, I can't think of any food that gives me too much grief. But I'm sure there is something that plagues me that I have forgotten about. Diet soda use to bother my stomach, but I haven't drank that or regular soda for eons. I still have all my choppers as well, but I do have some fillings in some of my teeth so I am careful about eating sticky food, like taffy, which I don't like anyway.:p:D

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Fried foods are giving me problems. They don't seem to digest as readily as they used to...they just kinda lay there.

I keep telling myself I should be grateful for all the years I could eat what I want/when I want (so many people have gut issues their entire lives), but it ain't working. And it's not as though the food that's giving me problems is something I should be eating...under any circumstances or at any age.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. John Brunner

The other evening I ended up using my Waterpik to blast some stuff like that loose.

John West likes this.
  10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am fortunate (and grateful) to not have any eating restrictions other than those dictated by common sense. I used to get an upset stomach after eating some foods but there was no rhyme or reason that I could find. Those bouts of indigestion (or worse) have seemingly disappeared now that I test everything I cook with a digital thermometer. If it doesn't get to 160°, it doesn't get plated.

11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having had serious teeth issues (that resulted from some getting knocked out and resulting poor bridgework (now replaced by implants), I use a Waterpic before brushing with a rotary toothbrush. Aside from the occasional cavity, dentist visits are mostly for cleaning.

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I've loved and eaten raw onions all my life, but recently they give me gastric distress. Cooked ones....no problems.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Everything that isn't soft and easy to digest. The list of what I can eat is much shorter.

14. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think I’ve developed a similar sensitivity to uncooked onions as well. Too bad, I really liked a bit of raw onion on a burger and I love chips and salsa. No more fresh salsa I guess.

15. John Brunner

This thread has got me back to my daily regime of taking a tablespoon of vinegar. I had been doing so for months, and it cleared up my long-term nightly heartburn. Then one evening I forgot to take it and I did not get heartburn, so I stopped the regime. Maybe taking vinegar again will help my issues with digesting fat. I wonder if we stop producing as much stomach acid as we age and just need a little boost...

I've been taking prebiotics and probiotics, and I believe I read that certain strains of gut bacteria are responsible for breaking down fat (or maybe those strains create fat-digesting enzymes.) I've not yet discovered what those strains are (if it's even known), or if they are available in foods or OTC as probiotic supplements. I'll keep researching. In the meantime, it's back to my daily shot of vinegar.

Beth Gallagher likes this.