For Your Information -- Tidbits Of Information

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Steve North, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

There's a difference between a fire engine and a fire truck, despite the fact that the terms are often used interchangeably. A fire engine typically transports the water necessary to fight fires until firefighters can access a fire hydrant, while fire trucks carry the ladders and other important equipment.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Oh Oh...! I remember one.
    Don't know why they call it that, but, a Free Martin is a female calf twin born with a male. It will be sterile. So if you are into buying a heifer, make sure it was not a twin.

3. Mary Stetler

Registered

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

A survey of funeral directors by Co-operative Funeralcare (per the BBC) found that the most frequently requested song to play at funerals in the United Kingdom is "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Monty Python, from their irreverent comedy classic Life of Brian. It beat out Frank Sinatra's "My Way."

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeep exactly why I will be cremated .. perhaps Kansas- Dust in the Wind will be playing (as requested) while my ashes blow around in and out of Gulf of Mexico

6. Mary Stetler

Registered

A few years ago, I looked up cremation companies without all the hoopla. We have one for pets in town. Funerals homes were rather pricey for a bon fire, I thought. There was one in Appleton that would come and pick you up, cremate you and drop you at your family's door for $600. You could add viewing and fancy urn and other stuff if you wanted.
    A friend of mine has her parents on a shelf in a closet,o_O
    I have a bit manure pile and a big mulch pile.
    Wonder which it will be.:D

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We previously had the discussion about how a bone marrow transplant can alter a person's DNA...

Well, apparently some chemotherapy can cause a patient to lose their fingerprints! That same doctor recently said this... "Yes, you can lose your fingerprints from cancer treatment. I am the living proof. So, what does this mean? You will have difficulty using the older model iPhone that uses a finger for personal ID; entering the USA and other countries can be difficult, and proving yourself is not that convenient; you can lose your grip. That is something that I have experienced and am still experiencing. It may not be the most important thing for clinicians to discuss, but it is inconvenient for patients. Recently I failed my fingerprinting for medical licensure credentialing."

He would be a CSI nightmare with no finger prints and the blood DNA of his marrow donor. :D

9. Mary Stetler

Registered

What a great consequence! He can go from being a doctor to a criminal!!!!:rolleyes:

Lois Winters and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - just getting older does the same thing. Seven years ago I needed to be finger printed for a a part time job. It took 3 three times for FBI to nail my prints. Almost non existent . I do have terrible time in swiping with my phone.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I have mentioned before that I have difficulty being fingerprinted electronically, and most touch screens don't respond to my fingers unless I lick them or moisten them somehow. I don't know if I could open a phone biometrically with fingerprints, but I doubt it. I think it has come from washing my hands 20 to 40 times a day for 50+ years.

12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My fingerprints per se, have all but disappeared with age. However, my fingertips are visibly scarred for various reasons. Wouldn't make for a credible ID, I am told.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Working with wood and playing guitar Spanish style will also alter fingerprints. My prints are just a smudge.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In the early 1950s, the A.C. Gilbert Co. sold a children's toy called the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. It contained actual radioactive material, encouraging children to create their own nuclear reactions. It was quickly taken off the shelves:
    [​IMG]

15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered