Fresh Orange Juice - Every Morning

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Ed Marsh, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    One of the nice things about where I live is that I can grow a wide range of crops and fruit during the year.
    right now is one of my favorite times of the year because I can step outside the front door, pick a dozen or so satsuma mandarin oranges off our trees and bring them in to squeeze for breakfast juice.
    By far, the best breakfast juice I've ever had, and fresh nature-cooled by the nighttime temperatures.

I do enjoy my orange trees.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Where do you live, @Ed Marsh? My brother lived in Georgia and he had an orange tree.

3. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-
    I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. If I go just a few miles south I'll be standing on sand or saltwater.

And my juice was SO good this morning.

good day to all- Ed

Shirley Martin and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I miss the two orange trees that I had while living in Los Fresnos, Texas. They supplied all the oranges and orange juice that I needed.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The closest I've come is buying the one gallon bottles of Not-From-Concentrate Tropicana grapefruit juice. I'll bet fresh-picked & squeezed orange juice is probably Heaven on Earth.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good evening to all-

John, you are perfectly correct. The real, real orange juice is so much better than any kind of pastuerized and commercially bottled juice- not the same stuff at all. I truly wish I could ppour each one of you a big glass of my cold orange juice- you just might come to think of me in a positive light.
    you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Von Jones and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a Hamlin orange tree in my first Florida house. When they got ripe we would make and freeze a lot of OJ. Now that I am diabetic, I rarely drink OJ.

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

My son brought me a bunch of tree ripened oranges picked from the tree on one of his trips to Florida. Did you know that oranges are green until they are dyed?

9. Hoot Crawford

Registered

I'm waiting for the punch line.....

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Registered

The next time you see oranges in your local supermarket, take a close look at them. If they’re orange in color, chances are they weren’t that way naturally.
    The peel of an orange is rich with chlorophyll, which should make this fruit green. But if an orange is exposed to chilly weather while it is still maturing, the chlorophyll will break down, allowing the less-abundant orange pigments to reveal themselves.
    So, oranges will only turn orange in the Fall. But what if you wanted to pick oranges in the summer? They’ll taste just fine, but they’ll be green.
    The solution most produce distributors have found is to place oranges in a room filled with ethylene gas. This is a highly unnatural process that can take up to four days. It will destroy the peel’s chlorophyll, turning the oranges orange.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Ya no, just today I say a large (40' long or so) trailer full of oranges headed for one of the local processing plants, and guess what, they were all orange, not green. And the fruit I see doesn't get picked until it is ripe, and orange.

Back in the day, Groucho Marx had 2 gimmie questions for folks that struck out on the regular ones. One was "who is buried in Grant's tomb" and the other was "what color is an Orange"?

YMMV

12. Shirley Martin

Registered

This question refers to the mausoleum in New York City that contains the remains of Ulysses S. Grant and his wife.