Frightening Employment

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Mary Stetler, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Oh, I definitely realize that there is a certain mystique or maybe a feeling of being a celebrity attached to being a character at Disney but so is being a cheerleader for a pro football team.
    They’re both high profile but in the end, neither job puts a lot of food on the table.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter worked for Disney for 11 years, moving up in the ranks to an executive position. She has pretty fond memories of her years there.

My late husband worked seasonally at Disney for 12 years, as an actor in their Christmas pageant.

I have a cousin who's been there for many, many years, first as a choreographer and then as a supervisor. Before Disney World, she worked at Tokyo Disney as a dancer.

We're kind of a Disney family and used to go frequently. That said, you'd have to tie me up and knock me out to get me to go now. Friends and family come to visit and ask, "Do you want to go to Disney with us?" My answer: "I love you but not THAT much."

Andrea Lindsey and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's not mystique...it's a cult. It's weird. It's the "Adults of Disney." It's real life Peter Pan, and it's nothing you want to be near.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I have found employment that might be do-able by seniors and actually preferred. Squatter hunters! An heir or even just a landlord finds there are squatters in a dead relative's home or vacant property. Police are called but the squatters show a 'rental agreement' or some other paper. To get them out, they have to be evicted even if you have the deed and other info.
    Owner hires someone to squat for them. Break into house, change the locks and make it uncomfortable for squatters to be there. They can't call the police, can they. They can't get physical with an old person because they can be arrested for battery.
    My first thought was to get some fox urine from our archery store and place it strategically but inconspicuously around the living quarters after I move in. But then, I am evil.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Back when I worked at a rental company, there was a landlord that basically did this exact same thing when he had renters who broke the lease, refused to pay, and wouldn’t move out. (He was a top attorney, and knew the law to know what he could and could not legally do).
    Rather that take them to court, he had a guy he hired (a friend of his, if I remember right), and the guy was a big, burly guy, and he just walked in, grabbed food out of the fridge, and made himself to home. He took the doors off of the house, so the people literally could not stop anyone from coming in or out and taking things when they did.

It did not take long for the bad tenants to decide they wanted to live elsewhere and move out. The landlord said it was quicker and cheaper than taking them to court and forcing them to move that way.
    Since they were in default of their lease, and not paying rent, there was not anything they could do to stop the house-crasher guy from moving in the house with them.

The landlord gave his friend the house key , and a lease in case he needed it if the deadbeat renters actually called the police, so the police would see that the burly guy was the legal renter, and not make him leave, or at the least, they would say they had to take it to court to decide, which didn’t help the renters, either.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is brilliant!

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.