From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

...said everyone whose ever posted on the internet.;)

Did you have storm damage to your house? Sorry if you already stated and I did not notice.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah,,substantual roof damage, some vent bent over, one blowed off. A couple of windlows knocked out
    and several screens torn up..

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That stinks.

The only homeowners claim I've ever made is when water got in the oil tank for my old floor furnace. When I finally got it fired back up (at 3AM), the whole house filled with oily, sooty smoke. What a mess.

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

They can be messy. I filed a couple of times over the years for roof damage..

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Roofing contractors are not my favorite folks to deal with. The first one I contacted recently about a new roof insisted there was hail damage, when there wasn't any. The roof was just a cheap mobile home roof 25 years old and deteriorating. After I declined to make a claim, he would never send me an estimate. Be careful who you choose is all I'm saying.

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

I ran across this and thought of you, Bill. It's an A. A. Schlott, Orchester

[​IMG]

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yeah, where did you run across it? Online?

Attached Files:

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Yes, I was trying to learn the history of the Schunk Company, and it popped up.

"Johann Schunk harmonica company, of Brunndobra (now Klingenthal), Germany. Founded in 1871 by Johann Schunk, and the harmonicas were labeled as such, until 1920. After that, the name was changed to "Burgtor Harmonika Fabrik Johann Schunk," and labelled Burgtor.

The Schunk company went through a merger in 1930, with the Rauner-Seydel-Bohm companies. In 1960 that company was nationalized by East Germany, and converted into an automotive parts factory." :D

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yes, he made a lot of the Tremlo harmonicas, and Chromatics I'm sure you know but the tremlo and the Echo have similar sounds. I think the only
    harmonica company to survive vthe Germany split was the now popular Seydel Company. They popped only a few years after German reunification.
    You're a good researcher and faster than me. If you're comfortable in doing so we can continue this, well never mind. I want to get your reaction to the a ya harping, see how that goes. You should have any ill effects

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

I have trouble hitting just one note, all by itself. Maybe my mouth is too big. Or maybe you aren't supposed to ever do that.

upload_2021-5-13_18-32-43.png
    upload_2021-5-13_18-33-1.png

upload_2021-5-13_18-33-31.png

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Tower. Made in China. I'm ignoring it. The lever sticks sometimes.

Progress report on the old one:
    1. Managed to hunt and peck the melody of one verse of Shenandoah. :rolleyes:
    2. Still can't get the breathing right. I'll check some YouTube videos.
    3. Hole #8 is not working on inhale. :(

I think I need a new one.

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    I have replied by private message. Thanks for all your info.
    You might try a little WD-40 on that slide. A sticking slide is not all that uncommon
    but usually ocurs more in the lower end harmonicas and formally in Chinese made harps.
    Keep in mind it should not take much breathe to play any harmonica. My breathing is very shallow.
    and most of my oxygen trees have died. I have no reserve oxygen in my lungs, yet I blow. Their is a break in period on new harps. Try a little wd-40 ann blow in and out, in and out with equal force up and down the holes a couple of times a day for a while,not too hard but just enough to get good sound. See if that helps. It may or may not.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Okay, another memo to myself. I tend to make everything more complicated than it is. Do evrything just good enough and not exactly
    as I should. Like music. I knew nothing about music when I first picked up a harmonica and years later, I know nothing now. I finally
    learned to play a harmonica but I learned the hard way, thinking stuff was more compllicated than it is or need be so it took me years to
    learn what a teenager could have learned in six months or less. Knowing that, I am not as intelligent as I thought i was. And a lifetime of
    living has proved it. So self, know you're not quite as good, not quite as knowledgable, and maybe should keep your mouth shut more
    than open.

That said, why did you say it? Because i could, and sometime hard to admit. Not that it makes any difference here or there. All I have to do
    to change anything is change my avatar and viola, I'm wearing a different hat and went from being a dumb bunny to a real intellectual.
    Simple as that. See that guy over there on the left, that simpleton, in a minute he'll be long gone, and
    in his place will be the remarkable, the one and only,...

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Most western music is written in the middle. And on a harmonica, that means hole four through seven. That's do ra mi fa so la ti do. Start at hole four, blow in, draw out, hole five in and out, hole six, in and out, hole seven, Out and In. My memory is not kicking in like I need it to
    and have to stop and look up a word I need. That's the old man in me. Most old people over eighty have some dementia. I read that stuff, not that I believe a word of
    it. Ok, got it. Hole four through seven is one octive, and on a harmonica, a ten hole harmonica, only has one octive., and that's hole four through seven. Unlike a chromatic harp, which
    has, generally speaking, three or more octavos. An octive is a tone or a pitch. After one learns to play a little and is comfortable with a harp, hole 2 through six is another octive after you learn to bend a note. But thats iffy. Chromatic harmonica players say why bother with a silly diatonic harp where you have to bend notes and pretend you are really playing something when chromatic are strait forward and that bent notes is already on the chromatic and you don't have to fool around with that silly bending. It's done because it sounds good and bluesy. Practice blowing and drawing one clear note at a time. Pucker your lips, like kissing your grand ma, and practice blowing and drawing a clear note until you can blow and draw notes c,d,e,f,a,b,c, that's do ra me etc. Have a good time and thanks for listening... to be continued.

Beth Gallagher likes this.