From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Maám. Until ready to use then eat cold or axd or as I do heat it on a burner or in the microwave.

Marci Miller likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill,
    I am up to chapter 10. I was going to pick blueberries this morning but when I went out to the edge of the carport to water my plants at 8:00 - 8:30 it was already hot. The air was heavy with humidity and there was not a breath of breeze blowing. I decided that this would be a good day to stay inside and read.

It has suspense, adventure, some comedy and even a little bit of................ romance. :eek:

In the book, Preacher rescues four people from the redskins. They are missionaries on their way to Oregon to save the redskins from their sins. The wagon train that they were part of was attacked. Everyone was killed but the four of them. The redskins took them prisoners with the intention of raping the women and torturing the men.

He is trying to get them to a fort and safety. Then there is a gang of bad guys after them for the women and the gold the men are carrying. One of the four is a comely young woman with big blue eyes. She keeps batting her big blues at Preacher. I think she has untoward plans for him. Will Preacher be able to resist her many charms? :rolleyes::)

At the end of chapter 9, they have made it to the fort. It is only defended by young, untried soldiers who have never killed a person. The redskins have attacked the fort but have ridden off. The commander of the soldiers says they defeated them and that they won't attack at night. But Preacher knows better.

It is not a book for the politically correct, "Woke" person.

I read one review where the reviewer asked, "Must there be so much killing?" Well, Shug, it's a western. There is shooting and killing in westerns. :) Another one lamented the cussin'. Must have been city folks. :)

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well, they're off, the two men I care most about in the Whole wide world, my son and grandson, one taking the other away to a far off place
    to study and learn to make his own way in the world. I am happy for the young man, my grandson. Happy he has a good
    scholorship and will have an opportunity to work at least twenty hours a week. And a little sad he is leaving. I told him I loved
    him, I wished him well, and suggested he save some of his money because it might be his only friend when he's all down and
    out and with that we shared a laugh and waved good bye.

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Been shopping on Amazon. Finished what I was reading, a western and we finished the Book of Calm,
    so have been looking for something else for us to read at night. I’ve never read anything to her from my Kindle
    but just found the book of Happy, a book of inspiration and meditations and positive Quotes and faith inspired
    readings. I have to be breathing at my best in order to read and we are both hard of hearing. Sometime
    its a challenge. Hopefully this will be another good book for our usage.

Hedi Mitchell and Shirley Martin like this.
  6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

prayers for the safe trip of your son and grandson....may you hear all happy things

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks.

8. Bill Boggs

Registered

I haven't gotten a new roof yet after our April 28th hail storm. I got an email ffrom the builder and he said he was trying to schedule me for next week. Fifty- two hundred and some odd dollars. I'm thinking about these architectural shingles.They are thicker. Any one know anything about them. They put them on the house next door but I'd like a lighter ones.

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you. Me, too.

10. Stan Levitt

Stan Levitt Active Member
    Registered

They have more ridges on each shingle ( not just flat ) giving them some character. they come in many colors and have longer warranty but they do cost a little more

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you kindly, sir.

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

Got a light rain this morning with lots of thunder. Old Fashion oats with toast and one slice of bacon for breakfast.Listen to music.
    Alan Jackson singing some of the older religious songs. Expect it to clear up this afternoon.

Gonna try to get a shower here shortly. It's getting harder to do, due to unstreadyness and shortness of breathe. Easy to fall.
    Other than that I'm free top move about the country.

Finished anther western last night and also started the book I bought to read together, the Book of Happy.

Day before yesterday I watched a smallish hawk swoop down and catch a mouse, at least I thought it a mouse. It was not a bird.
    The hawk got it just as it got to the fence and was gone in a flash.

Marci Miller and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hope you have a safe trip Bill.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

@John Brunner, I have tried the Overnight Oats, steel cut style. I don't like them. Admittedly, I did have the quick cook steel cut oats, which simply means they have been partially cooked and dried out.
    The main reason I didn't like them is I have ctrouble keeping food products out f my windpipe, ie small pieces of damp lettuce, small flaked dry cereal, therre are a number of of foods I don't eat due to
    that problem. Also I didn't like the taste. I am using Old Fashion Oats or flat oats for my overnight and it is working well (for me). I threw out the balance ofmy ssteel c ut and never tried the week's
    making. I thgink I told you I'd let you know. Oh, I used milk insted of water on everything and have had to experiment lowering my liquid in order not to have too thin.

The oats I had this morning were in the icebox about sixteen hours and were delicious. They still had about one quarter too much milk but anyone can handle that. I don't eat oats every day but that's my report.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Shirley Martin, So what did you think of the western you read, Preacher/Mountain Man?