From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

And finally, a little help for that resident in Georgia.
    F3D35769-FD32-4F35-AEB1-A2113391C7CA_4_5005_c.jpeg

90B026A0-0DB6-4DCE-9B48-91E688929368.jpeg
    Who may not know these now come already put together. You should try one out. @Nancy Hart

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm replying to let you know I didn't miss this post.

I already have one like the first picture. A girl gave it to me years ago, for helping her move ...to an apartment that had no grass. It doesn't work if your grass grows over 3 inches high.

What brand is the second? Are you making a recommendation? I'm in the market now, for next spring.

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

The second is a Craftsman. No I am not making a recommendation. The world may have changed too
    much since I was active. I would not buy a craftsman because I don’t think they can no longer be trusted
    to recognize a reliable product. The last mower I had was a self-propelled Toro with an automatic
    starter. When I bought mine they were a little costly. Most mowers on the market should be good
    mowers, after all, we or somebody has been making them for a long while. There are only two or
    three motors and the rest is pretty standard. But I expect you know more about them than I do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

I always liked Craftsman mowers, and other outdoor equipment. But my favorite was a little $96 Murray 18" that lasted for 20 years. I never took good care of it, and it still ran, and not that hard to start.

The new equivalent mower to this Honda is now $419. If they made stuff to last everyone would go out of business.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Craftsman used to be top notch on most everything sold under that name, but one can’t tell anymore.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I didn't want to get up this morning, but I did. Now I'm ready to go back to bed.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

I did. Shortly after three pm, in time for some lunch.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

I am becoming a sleepy head, Getting up at nine or nine-thirty and wanting a nap by three or three-thirty. I'm guessing old age is bring that on.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

I played my harmonica this morning. Blew a few single notes, blew a few chords. Blew the Marine Hymn, Jambalaya, I can't stop loving you
    and Will the circle be unbroken, then up and down the harp, single notes, two notes, three or more notes. Gave the bass end a good workout.

Got the lungs moving a little air. Good bye, so long, It's been good to know you.:)

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Bill, I tried taping a song using the smartphone video recorder. The tones on the harmonica sound like a kid's toy on playback, even if I manage to hit most of the notes right. :p Did you ever try recording what you play? Did you ever use a microphone?

upload_2021-10-6_12-45-32.png

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

No, never did. Never had a way to record anything. I played onetime at a birthday party with my son
    and a drummer, a bongo type drummer. The birthday party was in a large house and the owner was a friend of my
    son’s. It was a dinner party. My son asked me to sit in. We played a two hour gig while party goers ate and talked. I played with the guitar and the drum. Then played with only the drummer. Played several solo’s as we all did. It was fun. At times I played with the guitar, playing chords. Other times I’d play higher than the guitar. When the guitar was on high notes, I’d play heavy on my bass notes. It was a fun thing. That’s all the playing I have ever done.
    Was I any good? I don’t know. It sounded good to me. My son said I sounded good. The bass player who was also a professional musician said, thanks for playing with us. Never been recorded. Don’t
    really know how I sound. Could be really lousy, sound tinny. You could sound much better than I do.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's great, Bill. You did a "gig." :cool: Most people never get to do that even once. How do you figure out how to join in? Do they all agree to play in the key of C? I always wondered how those session musicians play with apparently little rehearsal. They would have to play in the key the singers sing best.

Yes, I was doing it just to see how it sounds. I can learn how to make a few things sound better that way. But overall it was not a good sound. If you listen to YouTube videos by amateurs they always use a microphone. I was just wondering.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I never worry about hitting exact note. A diatonic harmonica notes are not arranged so you can hit all the notes.
    It ‘s too hard. It is arranged so that the notes displayed sound good together? A chromatic harmonica has all notes
    so each note can be played easier but still difficult.

Nancy Hart likes this.