From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Nurses are going to bring my booster shot and give it here at the house on the nineteenth, this month.
    Knowing several aged who have had two shots to die from covid I have doubts the booster will prevent
    an oldster from dying who has underlying conditions.

And it can happen in a hurry.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That's good news, Bill. Glad you don't have to go through the hassle or take the long trip this time.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Heretofore, my son and daughter in law, and their two kids have always gone to Italy to be with
    my daughter in law's parents for Christmas, then the four of them would go to Spain for a week
    before coming homee to their teaching jobs. This year is different. My DIL's father has passed,
    DIL will have spent the past six months in Italy taking care of heer mother who nowins in the
    throes of Alzheimer's and needs constant care. Her brother and she each spend six months
    taking care of their mother.

My DIL is lucky. She has not lost her job but put on unpaid familyleave. She had already taken
    some family leave when her dad died and then tried to find help for their mother.

They will not go to Spain this year; they cannot afford it with my DIL not working the past five
    months. The son will come home here in Norman. The daughter will come from Spain to Norman
    and Christmas will be held here in Oklahoma. If shewants the daughter will go back to Spain for
    another six months.

The Christmas holliday and a Christmas dinner mean little to nothing to me. I've always said give
    me a loaf of bread and a pound of boloney and I'll be fine. Getting together is something else. I think
    that's important when we can.

The year has flown by. Sometime I think all I do is sit here waiting to die. I'm otherwise useless and
    I know it. My brething hass bee bad. My medical people have told me to turn my oxygen up to four
    24/7. They have also tried to encourage me to blow on my harmonicas. I did that for a couple of days
    and thought it helped little. At this stage a little help is a big deal.

I thought i sounded good on my harmonicas. The deal with a harmonica is if it sounded good to you,
    it will probably sound good to anyone listening. What did I play on my harmonicas? Everything I knew
    and could think of; country, rock, gospel, jazz. I noticed I can not hold a note like I once could. My
    breath gives out or I have to fake it a little, drop it and come bace to it. Playing with a band or group
    that is not noticed. Other instrumenmts will cove for you, but on a solo it s stands out, so something
    has to be improvised. With me it doesn't matter. Noboy hears and nobody cares, except me. I suppose
    that's the way it should be.

Last night I worked most of the night. In my dreams I was trying to organize a small insurance company,
    with me as president, a small staff and a larger sales force. I was having a terrible time of it. When I
    awoke, I was glad it was a dream.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I know you'll enjoy your family visit for Christmas, Bill. And how great that you're back to playing your mouth harp (as my grandpa used to call them).

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Like someone else has said on this forum, I have raked my brain trying to think of something to post. It used to be when I racked my brain
    I woud come up with something viable. Now it doesn't seems to do much good so I'll say this: I used to save coins when I was about and
    around. I'd get a jar full then deposit whatever amount I had saved up in a pint or quart fruit jar. Many men did this or something similar.
    I still have a jar of pennies and a small jar of silver, mostly quarters, I think. But these have been in the drawer a long time, sinse I haven't been
    out and around anymore to spend any money or get any change. So it has sit there for several years. In that jar orsomewhere I had one half
    dollar. This morning I thought I had found my half dollar in my center desk drawer. I picked it up but couldn't tell what it was so I got my mgnifying
    glass and took a closer look. It was not a half dollar but an english ten pence. I should have known because itis larger than a quarter but smaller
    than a half dollar. I also found a small black bag of quarters in the drawer. Not many only eight dollars that I must have taken out of my jar for
    some reason or maybe I was going to put in the smay jar of silver and it was too full for them to fit in, or not. Don't remember.

I quit saving coins a few years ago when my neighbor told me he saved coins. He said he saved them until he got a hundred dollars worth then
    cash them in. He said that always paid for their vacations from his change or if he needed a little something he always had a few dollars on hand.
    And he pulled out twelve one hundred dollar bills. I decided my puny little coin collections were a waste of time.
    Can't think of anything now but maybe I'll come up with something later.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

when i was young...i liked the sound of the jingle of
    a few coins in my overall pocket..

Beth Gallagher and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I did, too.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

My daughter in law is coming home, leaving Potenza, Italy in December. My grand-
    daughter is coming home. She is in Spain, but on the last day of November she is flying to Munich,
    Germany to hang out with a friend for a week or so. Her mother will fly from Italy and they will meet
    up in Munich, then fly Madison, Wisconsin, where they will spend a couple of days with old friends,
    then they and my grandson will fly back to OKC and be picked up and brought to Norman.

Sounds like a lot of falderal and unnecessary money spent to me. Anyway we will have Christmas
    together. My daughter in law will be home to stay. Grandson will go back to Madison. Granddaughter
    will go back to Spain where she and her German friend will room together as they continue dance studies.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

My son cooked spegetti with a good sauce for us today. He brought it over and served us, then washed
    up the dishes, emptied our trashes and checked to see if we needed anything. I don't how I lucked out.
    If my son had been like me, maybe I would have disowned him, too. I'm so lucky and can't figure out why.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

What would you do wth a yard full of these?
    7B4DA230-1D36-49FB-B5B3-216779686D75.jpeg
    Arizona

12. Bill Boggs

Registered

Finally something besides cactus and sagebrush.
    9EBC63FF-DA57-4CE4-8592-11791D3CE09A.jpeg
    I like the west. Out here you can see a far piece, You might have a neighbor somewhere over yonder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

when we traveled thru those desert areas...we had 3 little dogs...we only used major interstate/highway systems.......
    driving motor home with tow..
    .the rest areas...were all sand...with small cactus growing everywhere...we had feet covers for the dogs...and it was quite the job to get them on all 4 paws....everytime.....was glad to make it back to green grass and trees.....

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Remember those days. 453FC620-4795-4679-B2EC-B9FB8A7B0549.jpeg

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

All the above reminds me of times past when we worked hard at whatever work we had
    and ever so often, when we could, we went camping. We lived in West Texas and all that
    area between Amarillo and Midland was flat and dry. It is mostly treeless. The trees
    that existed were in the towns, planted by people who lived in those towns.

There as one exception to the flatness of the country. Some twenty miles south of Amarillo
    east of the town of Canyon is Palo Duro Canyon. It is a great hole in the ground with high
    canyon walls, trees, a running creek and miles to explore. It is an excellent place to camp out,
    hike, and get away from the hustle and bustle of city traffic and lights. It’s great for a weekend
    get away or longer.

That’s where I’m going on my road trip. Here’s a peek.
    A74CF86F-EEE9-4D1D-8F82-56A6ACAD40CA.jpeg
    It is also a State Park.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021