From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I have. I am about to finish my breakfast now. Had 2 sausage biscuits with picante sauce.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, do you get tufted titmice (my current avatar), and Carolina (or black-capped) chickadees at your bird feeder?

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Get tufted titnice? never have seen black capped chickadees.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

The reason I asked... This morning I got a 2c insulated cup of coffee and sat on the floor in one corner of the deck, to keep the squirrels away. The feeder was only 10' away on a railing. I was out there about an hour and the Carolina chickadees and tufted titmice came around very soon. A downy woodpecker even showed up eventually to eat suet.

They say the titmice and the two species of chickadees are very friendly to people. Maybe you should try it sometime, i.e., put your feeder close to wherever you sit when the weather warms up. It was a lot of fun. I believe they would eat of your hand after not very long.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  5. Bill Boggs

Registered

i couldn’t get close to my feeders or they all flew. I no longer us my feeders. Unable to tend them. @Nancy Hart
    Oh, one other thing. A bird never seen in the usa spotted on te the texas coast, a Bat Falcon. Sw two photos
    but couldn't copy.

6. Bill Boggs

Registered

With all the noise on tv, road traffic and all the machines in my house, I looked. up and played
    several versions of The Sound of Silence. It’s a good song.

Beth Gallagher and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

You don't need a feeder. Just throw some seeds out on a table or the ground. They will fly away at first. You have to sit there quietly and eventually they will come back. One by one. It might take a few days. (It was just a suggestion I thought you might enjoy. :oops: )
    Pretty bird

[​IMG]

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, recently @Ken Anderson posted this cover of The Sound of Silence and I find it absolutely the best. I am not a fan of this musician's typical style, but he owns this song. (Sorry, Paul Simon.) See what you think...

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

That’s him.
    It’s a good song.

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

At eleven o’clock this morning I had a few bits of oatmeal, stuck the most of it into the frig, maybe too have tonight or some time tomorrow. What were my thoughts as I picked at my oats? I don’t remember them all but do remember being told by my mother that in the late 1930s my dads oldest brother, Tom, stopped by their house with a young girlfriend, spent the night and said they were going to California to find work. None of the family ever saw
    Tom again.

Then in the late eighties almost twenty five years after my dad had died, a lady called my mother, telling her that
    dad’s oldest brother was buried in a small town in Oklahoma, a town I have forgotten. I never expected to wind
    up in Oklahoma myself, I didn’t like the state, yet here I am. Don’t know why but bet Tom didn’t either. It’s not important, it was merely a thought.

Looking for a home? Looking for yesterday? It doesn’t exist anymore. Be happy with what you have, and be careful, you might wind up in Oklahoma, an old foggy, too old to move anywhere else.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember yesterday. When we were young.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Registered

I got up this morning and put on a pair of pants instead of hanging out in my pajamas. Had ham and eggs
    for breakfast with a warmed up biscuit and coffee. After breakfast I read a while, watched a little tele, then
    napped some in my easy chair. Had some lunch between three-thirty and four pm. Pasta! Ugh. Noodles.

I sent my son a grocery list last night. I hope he brings it tonight. It is this weekend and next weeks eats.

Rain this weekend

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

l never had a bucket list. I never had much of a goal. i’ve never been up in a hot air balloon but at one time
    I thought it might be fun. For a few years I ventured over-to Albuquerque to watch their annual hot air event.
    They usually had three or four hundred balloons. I had been thinking of going up and taking my grandkids
    ButI I had been watching balloon that seem to have trouble gaining altitude when I noticed smoke then I saw
    it was on fire and was dropping rapidly. Some distance up, fifty or seventy-five, two people jumped or fell out
    of them bucket. One died on impact. The other DOA. I never did get up in a balloon nor allow my grandkids
    to go up. I guess it is just as well. I did attend the balloon event another time. or two. My grandson. and I rode my bike. Rode from Lubbock, about seven hundred miles round trip.

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered