From House To Apartment Living

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Some people really have a problem going from living in a house to living in an apartment.

Amount of noise that can be made in a house, compared to living in an apartment where your neighbor is on the other side of a wall from a living room or bedroom. Some Seniors can have a hearing problem, so they turn up their tv to hear it and a neighbor complains that the tv is too loud.

An apartment complex that sounds more like a dog kennel, due to numerous medium-to-large dogs barking. Residents who work and their dog/dogs stay in the apartment all day.

Amount of available parking, especially when a resident has two vehicles. So, parking problems happen. A non-Handicap person parks in a Handicap spot.

In a house, with a driveway and garage, a person can work on their own vehicle, but apartment owners/managers don't allow that.

Apartment managers will constantly tell residents what the Lease Agreement says about "this and that" and some residents will say, "I'll do what I want to".

Any thoughts/comments?

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with everything you said. At one apartment I lived in, my neighbor went off somewhere for an extended stay and left his clock radio alarm on so that one Saturday morning it went off early and woke me on my day off. Saturday was garbage pick-up day too and I would be awakened by banging trash cans.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sometimes house-living isn't what it's all cracked up to be either. That is, unless the house is on numerous acres of land and your neighbor/neighbors are a few miles away.

If the house is part of a housing development, dogs barking in the backyards at something, in the middle of the night. Large wood owls "hooting" on the roof of a house nearby, again, in the middle of the night. A house party going on and, no matter how loud a person turns up their tv, the music/noise next door is still heard.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

At one apartment we had, our bedroom was next to the outside stairs. Three young ladies, who were cocktail waitresses somewhere locally, would come home at 2:30AM and, as they were walking up the stairs, they were talking to each other like it was 2PM in the afternoon. They lived right across from our apartment. I ended up confronting them, one morning at 2:30AM, about how loud they were talking and they understood. Night owls don't think about anyone sleeping.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Living in a house has its disadvantages too but I'll take the house. People don't get along like they use to plus it can be dangerous acording to where you live ,house or appartment.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had no problem.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We have an old dog and chickens. Hubby is the main one who won't even consider it. Of course life can change plans.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

My daughters inlaws had a very nice log cabin up in Helen Ga.Her husband has Alziemers and she couldn't care for him .At first both of them did not want to go into assisted living.But had no choice .They went into a nice place with all the trimmings like you have.

She is now happy there and wish she'd moved sooner.First few weeks all she did was cry missing her home.So guess you don't know whats good for you sometimes.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hate apartments, and for many of those reasons. Not the noise problems, though. I can easily become accustomed to such things.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The upside to an apartment is that if you're stuck with horrible neighbors, the chances of them (or you) relocating soon are a lot higher than if you all own your homes.

I lived in an apartment where the guy one floor below was a volunteer firefighter, and he moved in at 3AM. He propped the main front door open and shouted out to his friends in the parking lot what to bring up next! He would leave his record player on all night as his security system when he was out...Steely Dan Aja album, Side One, over and over and over and over and....

When I lived in my house, a contractor bought the place behind me and remodeled it slowly...well over 5 years of construction with a forever barking German Shepard guard dog chained out 7 x 24 x 365. And the guy was living elsewhere. The police (who could do nothing) asked if I owned a gun, to which I replied "The only guilty party walks on 2 legs, so if you're giving me that green light, I want it in writing."

The only commonality between the two is that some people really, really suck.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think there would be a lot of emotions (and reality shock) moving into a facility that was gonna be your last residence.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If I were by myself, I would definitely move to an apartment. Bobby does everything here at our house, all of the outside work, and any “Mr. Fixit” problems that we have inside the house.
    I am useless at fixing anything ! (I can’t even get on the step stool to change a lightbulb anymore.)
    I do like yard work and having a garden, but even the lawmowing and most of the weed-eating is now done by Bobby, Fortunately, he enjoys doing all of this; so we are fine with having the house.
    Plus, Bobby has a big shop outside in the back yard, and he enjoys doing his woodworking and other crafts out there, none of which would be possible if we lived in an apartment.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

He was more upset than she was he loved his place up in the mountains.It was a gated community. But he was gettign worse and falling down often sometimes didn't know who she was.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, just what does a retired Senior do in this scenario: Senior is living in an apartment and new residents move in next door. The "next door" resident's apartment one living room wall is same wall Senior has in their living room. New resident has a dog that gets really lonely and will bark at anyone going upstairs/downstairs or walking/talking on the sidewalk. The new residents work all day, while the Senior retiree has to listen to their dog barking at whatever during the day. Just wonder if the new residents have had a problem with their dog barking a lot, with next door neighbor complaining..........if the next door neighbor is a retiree?

The barking can get rather annoying!

Complex owner and manager are very, very "pet friendly". Actually, the manager brings her one dog, she has two of them, to her office quite often. Wonder if it has the same barking problem?

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Good question. Something to think about plus the smell and poop accidents .We have an old dog we lost her sister last year.She is ok but now inside and thats new yto have a mid to large old dog inside house.Lots of work. We have a pet cemetary here from all our animals from birds,bulls,cats and dogs over past 24 years.