From Urbanist To Ruralist And Now?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Boris Boddenov, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wish you were close enough to pick your brains and have you yell at me when I am doing something stupid. (which is most of the time). This little girl is very smart and I find I am not as fast as I used to be. But she comes when called, backs up, stops....only six months old. But she bites! Never had a cow do that.
    ????

2. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I lived on a farm back in my day, mostly weekends. Those were the best times, the clean air, the quiet ....the chirping of the birds, the Guinea fowls running helter skelter, fresh eggs straight from the coop, goats milk, farm fresh veggies....will I see them, i mean those days again??!! I hope so! Just loved it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

First, your daughter sounds like a very interesting woman.

Second, I got 2 stories:

1-The state of West Virginia decided one day to be "enlightened," so they passed a law making it illegal to pick up roadkill. It was soon rescinded as the state realized it lacked the resources to keep the roadways clean, and accident rates went up. Those country people aren't stupid. They aren't gonna eat something that will make them sick. It was a solution in search of a problem. Stupid government...

2-I had a friend who knew someone with squirrels in her attic. So she would go up there with her .22 every once in a while and dispatch the critters. I don't recall the specific circumstances, but she did not know what to do with the carcasses, so she wrapped them in aluminum foil and shoved them in the freezer. One day she needed the freezer room, so she gathered up the all the frozen Reynolds Wrap bundles, put them in her car, drove down the road, and every so often chucked them out the window one-by-one until they were all gone. The two of us had to laugh at the thought of anyone who came across them laying at the roadside and wondered it it were evidence of alien abduction and experimentation.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Mary Miller

Registered

Good way to ventilate the attic with .22 holes;)
    All my daughters bring me joy. This one just happens to be like me.:rolleyes:

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Miller

Registered

You can come for a visit. I have an interesting antique barnhouse. But this morning it was -3 degrees F. Have to thaw out the eggs before we can scramble them. My avatar is from last fall's canning session.

6. Susan Paynter

Registered

Oh Mary, I would love to. Thank you. My mom used to keep chickens too in our home. I truly miss the entire farm scene. I love to reminisce the good ole days.

7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Is she mouthing or biting? A bottle baby will mouth a lot,bovines are especially stupid. One thing to be aware of with bottle calves is leaning and pushing. I think familiarity from all the handling and attention causes it.
    6 months? You need to get a yoke on her just to wear and maybe have her drag some small saplings, just to get the feeling.
    Like I said cows are stupid and they need intense constant training,

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Susan Paynter

Registered

You do have a wide variety of tomatoes in your profile picture. U mentioned about canning them ... awesome...I dont eat tomatoes since my arthritis acts up, but my daughter planted tomatillo n I make a good sweet potato and tomatillo brisque. She makes tomato paste n freezes most of the crop.

Mary Miller likes this.
  9. Mary Miller

Registered

Thanks. Not sure where to buy a yoke around here yet. Do I drive her on her first sapling drags? Lead her? I was going to dig out a surcingle from horse training days, maybe a horse collar?. I could tell you some stories that could show how some of the animals are smart (but maybe obnoxious)
    I am kind of old and do everything through a panel gate. Feeding, haltering, tying... I only get in to groom her once she was tied. Cuz she has four legs and I only have kinda one good one. She would even BITE and yank the bottle nipple if the temperature was not to her liking. Opinionated cows I have had. I used to carry a three fingered rake to use on my little bull's nose if he ever put his head down. Only used it twice. Could carry it instead of my cane, I guess but I am faster with the cane than most weapons.
    One other question. Can a blindfold work with a cow? Never tried it but had to with a pony once. Not blinders.
    Is this bothering any readers? Should I take it to private? Peter could be a good source of info for closet ox owner wannabes.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not bothering me at all. Then again, I owned, years ago, two American Quarter Horses and was a member of AQHA. I've worked at a livestock auction yard around cattle/bulls. When we can, we go to a livestock auction locally. My wife, even though she wasn't raised around livestock/farming, like I was, she had grown to like being around livestock. Thank God!

However, Mary, there could be those on this forum that will "balk" at reading about how livestock is handled on farms/ranches. IOW, a person just can't walk up to a calf, pick it up and lay it down, to brand/inoculate it.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm always interested in learning something new.

If things are graphic enough to cause you concern, you could always used the Spoiler tag:

Spoiler tag.jpg

Then people can click or not click, as they desire.

Mountain oysters are not seafood.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021