Fun Trip

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Martin Alonzo, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Off to see the doctor. I finally decided to do something about the cataracts that I have one that is bad and the other is starting. I live on the North coast of the Dominican Republic and the big hospitals are in the capital on the south coast. There is a bus that crosses the country from here to the capital [Santo Domingo]. Got on the bus in Luperon most people were not wearing masks when we entered the bus but requested to put them on for the trip. Bus started off at 1:30 PM stopping to pick up people all along the trip also carrying everyone parcels. We were on the road about 15 minuets and the driver cell phone came out and he was driving one handed and talking on the phone for most of the trip. The bus was large equal to Grey Hound. When we got to Santiago which is about half way across the country it stops for five minuets to get a bathroom brake and pick up a munchie. Sitting at the front of the bus I get to see the driver and watch the road how they can drive in this country without killing half the population is a magic. Finally got to Santo Domingo The cost for two people was 1,000 pesos that is equal to $21.91 Ca

A friend picked us up and took us to his house and we stead next morning it was off to the hospital this hospital specializes in eyes. There was quite a line up but we got through the first visit was to check your eyes and see what needs to be done. They checked the eyes and look to see if there was other things wrong besides the cataracts. Next visit is March 30 to get other test for possible operation. My hospital visit was 500 peso. I have free government insurance which I never paid a peso for.

We visited a few people here in the capital it seems every person in the DR are related the all seem to be cousins.

Our trip back home was just as exciting as the trip to the capital. Arrived back home at 12:30PM to-day

2. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo

I have been watching a lot of videos on the DR but nothing like first hand information from someone who lives there.

Its unbelievable the number of expats who live on the island. Unfortunately, the gringos are given a hard time and it all depends on "being at the wrong place at the right time".

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

When coming home they had a police check on the road they were checking all cars and even stopped the bus. I hear the policeman asking the driver if he had any Haitians on board he said no and let us go. I ask the driver what was that about he said immigration but I wonder because I am in the front of the bus and looks like an immigrant and he said nothing. After getting home my wife was told that two vans were stopped with stolen children in them ten in total the children have been returned to their families. Maybe they werer using immigration check to look for these child traffickers. Thank goodness they got them this time.