Game One World Series 1977

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Thomas Stillhere, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember that first game and a blue northern came down from the north and it was freezing cold and windy in Houston. I had gone shopping just before dark and it was beginning to turn cold already. Tonight sitting here watching a little of the first game again and it is not cold. Possible rain later but not a great chance. I will probably turn the game off and watch a western on grit or circle, I'm a little disappointed with Houston they have been there several times and can't close. A home run by Houston just as I wrote the last sentence, how's that for timing. It is still early and I've seen this before. I hope they win simply because the sore losers made such a big deal of their first series win. Crying about someone watching the other teams hand signs of all things. If you want to see some cheaters watch the Yankees and the rest of those high win totals. I was a member of a blog belonging to a Houston sports writer and he was a baseball expert, he managed to die after the win by Houston and that really made me happy because he had waited so long to see Houston win a series. As a kid I was tossing papers for the Houston Press and our route manager was a Colt 45 lover, he wore everything that had a Colt 45 logo sewn on. I've stopped being a great fan of baseball for a lot of decades now. The best baseball was when I was little league on the Heights Little League, the Buffs was my team and today the park we played at and practiced is still right there on Buffalo Bayou under the I-10 coming out of downtown heading west I-10. The park has tripled in size and my old field we played in is still visible, only the stands have been moved and the trees leading to the bayou have all been cut down a long time ago. You hit a ball over the center fielders head and it was a home run for sure because it would be out there in the weeds someplace or in the water. ;0)

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

1977 was a good year. I was playing ball then, playing on a team was so much fun don't you think?

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  3. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I lost interest in baseball long before I left for the Army in 65. I have only attended one Astro Dome Game with Houston playing and it was only because a good friend had the tickets. I think it is a very boring game most of the time. In little league it was great and a lot of fun. Recently I have lost interest in Nascar as well, just boring to the bone watching one of their races. In the old days the winner was usually about 3 laps ahead of everyone else. Today the rules are set to force a large crowd coming down the straight hoping for a wreck so it pulls the crowd back for more. This is not racing, it is a scientifically staged show and nothing more. I think once they started pandering to a few people that killed it for me forever. I've watched racing when they were driving personal owned grocery get-ers after installing some roll bars. There was no special tires being made just regular street tires. An old man that lived near Indianapolis speedway said every time there was a wreck it sounded like two freight trains collided from two miles away which was how far he lived from the speedway. Today just about all sports has become so greedy they won't televise it any longer and want everyone at home to pay for it on cable, not me, they can take a deep breath and hold it waiting for me to pay to watch it.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I never did like going to the games as much as playing on a team, but I did go to lots of my kids games.
    I miss the local ball parks.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.