Getting A New Tablet / Laptop

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Tony Page, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm expecting a delivery today for a
    RCA Premier 11.6" Delta Pro 2 Android Tablet with Keyboard and Voucher
    Can't wait to set it up and start using it.
    It can be used as a laptop or tablet.

rca-premier-116-delta-pro-2-android-tablet-with-keyboar-d-2021032909270137_748668_U92.jpg

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Cool.

I hate getting a new computer. It seems there's always so many files to transfer, and I always forget something. I should get smart and start keeping my stuff on an external drive.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a good idea. I have already downloaded stuff to SD cards, 2 external drives, plus DVD's & CD's.
    The hardest part is organizing it so I can find a song or a picture easily.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am sure that you will absolutely LOVE the new tablet, @Tony Page ! I use my iPad with a detachable keyboard, so it is like a laptop, but it has all of the extra features that tablets have.
    I like that I can take it off of the keyboard easily (it stays on with a magnet, so easy to just lift off of the back of the keyboard), and if I am watching a youtube video, or something where I want to be able to see better (and do not need to be typing), then I can hold it in my hands and watch the video.

There are so many apps for tablets now, too. I think probably thousands altogether, but none of us would ever use that many of them, just the ones we are personally interested in.
    Looking forward to your report once you get the tablet and get it all set up !

Tony Page likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

There is a somewhat tedious thing you can do that helps...add Tags to each file in addition to using the folder structure.

The problem with folder structures is that you pick a single bucket (or a confusing chain of folders) for something like a music file that you want to label with: jazz, 40s, female, big band, etc. This applies to photos as well, since they may be a given year, a given subject, specific people in them, a specific place, a specific event, etc. You can add all of those descriptors to each file so you search on the Tag word(s).

I don't know how to do this in an Android O/S. In Windows you right-click the file, choose Properties, go to the Details tab, click next to the word Tag, then type (or paste) in your keywords, each separated by a comma. It's a good idea to define your Tag System before starting. Here is an informative article discussing that.

You can create a document with some of the repetitive tags so they are available for you to copy & paste into the Tag field to save time & avoid typos; for example, you might have a bunch of files you want to tag with "jazz, 40s, female, big band" so you would save that in a document or a text file to copy/paste from multiple times.

You might also search on File Management Software. I just saw some that have a better/easier interface than the tedious process of tagging each file as I described. I think your O/S is Android 10. Regardless of which you choose, read that article on setting up your Tag System so when you go to search there's some method to your madness.

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Good idea thanks, some of my music already have the song title and artist. My photos most are just numbers, I'll have to work on them Maybe by date and occasion or place.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Doesn’t it just automatically transfer from your old device to the new one, @Tony Page ? I have never used any kind of external drives, SD cards, etc; so I do not know much about any of those items, or know anything about an Android device.
    Everything that is on my iPad is stored in iCloud, so when I get a new iPad or iPhone, it all just automatically transfers to the new one and I do not have to do anything except set the new one up and let it sync with the old one.
    All of my Apple devices share information, so when I take a picture with my phone, it is also on my iPads, where I usually do my photo-editing.
    I don’t have songs stored, but I have over 2,700 pictures on my photostream. It is hard to go through and find a specific picture; so what I do is make albums, and then I only have to go through the correct album to find the picture.

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I could transfer the directly from my PC, however there's not much left on my PC I've already downloaded it all to external drives. I downloaded my music and videos and some documents because the computer is running slow and didn't have much memory left.
    I thought about using cloud, if I did I would still back it up with my external drives. Somehow I just don't trust leaving all my stuff on the cloud especially sensitive documents.
    For my photos I have a ton a old Black and Whites from the 30s and 40s that I scanned and made DVDs out of them and hand them out to my family. I do the same with currants occasions also I just like making DVDs. I've used Roxio software to create my DVDs I find it user-friendly. Just load the photos add the soundtrack, software will time the photos to the music so they end together. The same software I make CDs both MP3 and standard. I enjoy mixing music and coming up with a decent CD which I make multiple copies and hand out to friends and family, it's like a hobby. I have over ten thousand songs that I've downloaded plus a couple of thousand CDs and maybe eight hundred to a thousand vinyl. I have a saying I kind of believe it represents me " I live for our memories" I've always tried to make more good memories bad, it's something to reflect on. Sorry for rambling I've never been much of a talker except when I'm on this site I'm enjoying it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

"Lookingforward to your report once you get the tablet andget it all set up !"

The positive is this tablet laptop is much faster than my 6 year old desktop and my smartphone. The larger screen makes reading easier then my smartphone.
    The negatives is it came with paperwork to download free software. When I go to the site it is the most difficult to use, definitely not user-friendly.
    Some of the apps that I use, I've installed only to find out they will not flip from vertical to landscape. I've turned on the auto-rotate, both on the drop-down and in settings, doesn't work. I will be calling service on Monday to get it hopefully corrected. Since I will be using it in landscape mode mostly I hope they can fix it.
    It has a lot of features that I'm not familiar with but you'll have to try and see if they useful.
    I purchased with it a three years service contract, looks like I'm going to get use out of it.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I don’t know how android works, but in the Apple App Store , they give you a choice on the apps, for either phone or iPad. If you choose the phone, then you get the vertical one. Some of them do not seem to have a choice, and only work in the vertical position; which is extremely frustrating with my ipad, since it is set up with the attached keyboard.
    When I get those, I usually end up deleting them, and if it is something I really want, then I have to use it either on my phone , or on the iPad Mini, which is easier to use in the upright position.
    It sounds like it is a good thing that you have the service contract ! !

Tony Page likes this.
  11. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our iMac and iPads are getting a bit long in the tooth, operative systems updates are no longer updated and some apps are no longer supported. Added to that they're slow in starting up because the operative systems take up so much memory and other resources. So we just took delivery of a new MacBook Air this week. Still playing with it but wow is it fast! We'll still be using the iMac for more complicated stuff like photo and movie editing but for everything else I just love this new baby.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.