Getting Back Into Dos Games

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Thomas Stillhere, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't bought a new joystick yet so recently I have been stock piling all the old DOS games I loved thru the early years. Surprisingly they all run very well and install using DOS-BOX and also having a virtual disc drive so you don't have to burn any games onto media, the virtual drive just mounts the game installer and you get the normal install screens. It does install to a drive of your choice but using dos-box emulator you need them all located in one folder like C:dos-games, much easier to go straight to your games. Sound is great and no problems so I will play some of my very old stuff. I had one game named Tornado which was the NATO European Fighter Bomber which because very popular in the first Gulf War. The game is so accurate and fun to play you forgive the bad graphics simply because there was nothing at the time to make it better. What was the greatest fun was setting up your missions and assigning all the targets and timing for all your aircraft to arrive on target together and not fly into one another, you strictly had to be on time and you used your throttle to keep your timing close enough to make your bombing run.

It was all low altitude bombing like the runways and munitions storage's. Just like the real Gulf War. They laid waste to every Iraqi Airfield and runway in Iraq the first night. And they did indeed do it at low altitude around 500 miles an hour. The game follows the script to a Tee and just when you think you have your mission completed you have to find your way out of the strike zone on autopilot full throttle before a missile gets you. You get through that and get close to home and dodge a few enemy planes on their way back from doing the same to your airfield, when you feel great you were home you find your runway is cratered, so you have to find another airfield to land. Just really a heck of an early flight simulator. I wish someone would have took the game and improved the games graphics then it would have been classic. The mission planner was just ground breaking for an early flight simulator, even the later new simulators never had a mission builder like Tornado has.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have Frogger? :D That used to be my favorite game. I love the "splat!" sound when he gets run over by a truck.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The only DOS game I had was Wheel of Fortune. I had a dual processor PC (8086/8088) that you switched using a keyboard shortcut. When you put it in 8088 mode, Vanna clapped real fast. This was on an old TTL monitor with the Hercules compatible board.

I did like Frogger, but only play in the bars. Frogger and Galaga were the only arcade games I liked.

4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

No frogs, I've always had that niche for war games. I like some of the driving games, all of the need for speed games. I'm working on getting my Tornado simulator running. I have it running looks decent certainly no worse than it was in 1993. I don't have a working joystick thanks to that other machine destroying them when I plugged them in. No parts to repair them so I have two brand new sticks ruined. It had to have stray voltage going thru the usb ports to destroy everything I plugged in. Luckily a stick same brand is 33 dollars or even cheaper. I would like to buy another brand and see if it has free-er movement than this other brand, it is so hard to move it left or right you lift it off the desk trying to turn left or right. I did have a favorite game other than military stuff, Bejeweled classic, I have it saved somewhere on a drive I haven't used in 15 years. Here is microsofts online game but it is not as good as the popcap series bejeweled.

https://zone.msn.com/gameplayer/gameplayerHTML.aspx/?game=msjewelnew&redirectSrc=bejeweled

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Darn you people.

frogger.jpg

I want my life back.

link

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting. Not the same sounds, though. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

The machine that died 6 months ago I only paid 50 dollars for the Asus Motherboard and the expensive Intel cpu which the cpu is probably toast due to the motherboard pin issue, however I was able to salvage and use the G Skill expensive DDR3 RAM two stick of matching 4gb per, there are 3 but this other win 7 32 machine that has the identical motherboard I am writing with just now can use that expensive ram. I set the dram speed up to the 1333 max speed and also got my pci-e video card a Geforce 1030 video card installed. This old win 7 32 has new life and is very fast today, running very cool and fan speed is normal so I also have an older server cpu 5450 Intels in both these twin boards, that processor new was 912 bucks each but I paid about 40 dollars per and they were milled to run on these two 775 slotted boards, the 5450 was a 771 slot board. I have exceptional older hardware eve tho my 3 latest builds are modern fast machines. You can put a 600 dollar suit on a gorilla and you have a gorilla wearing a 600 dollar suit. Same with these older computers, I have squeezed them until they cannot be squeezed again. :D

John Brunner likes this.