Ginger Tea

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Dec 12, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been having some bad gut issues lately as the after-effects of a CT Scan last Thursday. I won't derail my own new thread with the details, but last night I made some fresh ginger tea with a piece of ginger root I had on hand, and it really seemed to help for a while. Until I can get to the Asian market in Charlottesville to buy a quantity of ginger root (where they have reasonable prices), this is gonna be an expensive endeavour.

My purposes in putting up this topic are:
    (1) Has anyone tried an instant ginger tea that they can recommend (granules, bag, etc)? I won't always feel like messing with "from scratch."
    (2) I thought I'd see how others might be making this. The "recipes" I found are all over the place regarding quantities and methods.

I looked up many different methods for making tea from fresh ginger root, and discovered that there is no one way to make it.

-Quantities of ginger root per 2 cups of water range from 1TB to 4TB

-Brewing methods are also all over the place
    --Fully cover the pot/partially cover the pot/leave the pot uncovered
    --Gently simmer anywhere from 5 minutes to 25 minutes
    --Boil for 5 to 10 minutes
    --Simmer uncovered until reduced by almost half

-Some add herbs & spices
    -Oregano
    -Rosemary
    -Star anise (I did this last night...it was seasonally appropriate)
    -1" of turmeric root, sliced (I'm gonna pick some up at the Indian market)
    -Cinnamon sprinkled on top, although a stick thrown in the pot would work

-All types of sweeteners were used
    --Honey (I used this last night)
    --Maple syrup
    --White sugar
    --Brown sugar

-Most recipes added a slice of citrus
    --Orange
    --Lemon
    --Lime (I ran out of lemons and limes, so I did a squirt of bottled lime juice)
    ---I can see changing these up to match the spices. A combination of all 3 would yield something like a mulled ginger cider.

-Make Ahead & Refrigerate Storage Times ranged from 3 to 7 days.

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i just got a brand ..TADIN..
    Walmart pick up...
    ginger blend...
    ginger root
    lemongrass
    orange peel
    rose hip
    elderflower
    i like it fine...i just put honey in it...

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ginger root capsules work really well, if you are nauseous or have an upset stomach. Slippery elm or marshmallow root tea or the capsules is also good for digestion issues and so much more. But I find a taking a good daily probiotic is really good for the gut.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife uses the tea bags of ginger tea or ginger-lemon tea. They seem to help with her issues. When she was really bad from the years of PPI ingestion, she used and elimination diet and used oil of oregano and L-Glutamine tablets/capsules to get her on the right track. L-Glutamine is reputed by some to be a healer of the intestinal lining when it has been damaged.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I went to Walmart and got Yogi brand and the Walmart brand so I can compare them, although I have no way of knowing exactly what's really in them.

Both list: Edited to correct, they do not contain the same ingredients
    Yogi contains:
    -Ginger root
    -Lemongrass
    -Licorice root
    -Peppermint leaf
    -Black pepper

Walmart contains:
    -Ginger (not ginger root)
    -Lemongrass
    -Rose hips
    -Lemon verbena (a species of flowering plant native to South America)
    -Natural flavor
    -Lemon peel
    -Citric acid

I brewed a cup of Yogi and put a squirt of honey in it. I could have omitted the honey. Yogi has a sweet edge to it, although there are no sweeteners listed on the package. I also bought some fresh ginger root. I have no idea if this stuff has any effect, or if it's just the cup of hot caffeine-free liquid that settles things down.

It just occurred to me that I used to buy a bunch of different Asian green teas online. I might visit those sites and see what they have, although this is more of a "steeped herb" than a true brewed tea.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

I have not heard the term "postbiotic" before, Alan.

Regarding wild fermentation...I knew a woman who made breads from it. I cannot even guess at how many loaves of bread she made every week for church fundraisers and for a cadre of regular clientele. She had recently moved here from another part of the state, and at one point she made the offhand comment "You all sure have good yeast here." That's when I learned about wild yeast. Fascinating stuff.

Don Alaska and Alan Sidlo like this.
  8. Alan Sidlo

Registered

the microflora contained in most beirs, wines, vinegars, and breads have either already run through their life cycle or have been stabilized so most of the common ferments contain what remains in a post-biotic state. introducing isolated strains as probiotics is ambitious and generally a blind alley.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

From what I have read, so is trying to understand exactly what goes on in the human gut.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I was on Amazon shopping for ginger tea. Walmart's single-box price for the Yogi is as good as Amazon's price when you buy 6 boxes at a time. But I came across this high-seller I may try:

GInger tea.jpg

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Licorice root is a sweetener, @John Brunner. At one time it was a primary sweetener along with skirret that we have talked about in a previous thread.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Alan Sidlo

Registered

i wholeheartedly agree with you there. treating it as a whole dynamic system instead of isolating targets whose presence has yet to be understood and function remains unexplained might garner more agreeable results. it takes a deeper understanding of the mechanisms involved, an open mind, and diligent refinement of the ongoing process.

13. John Brunner

#1: I had no idea licorice was used as a sweetener. As I go seeking it for it's medicinal properties, I'm encountering a lot of anise-based products. I don't want "tastes like."

#2: That memory of your must be real burden! I just went looking...the skirret thread last had activity in June of 2019, Sir. In any event, I learned something new. "The Tudor vegetable," indeed. Crummock.

#3: The need for licorice might have been obviated by a call I got a few hours ago from my doctor. The CT scan results show that the diverticulitis bacteria may not have been killed by the first course of 2x/day antibiotics (even though the symptoms went away), so I'm trying it again at 3x/day. Damned buggers get in that lower intestine and it's tough to have any potency left when the meds finally make their way down. But I'm still gonna buy some licorice just to have a homeopathic solution on hand. I hate taking Pepto (and I've not for this latest bout)...it can mask things.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. John Brunner

I've taken probiotics off & on, but my concerned is that no one knows what my gut ecology looks like. There may be "good bacteria" identified, but I may very well be upsetting my balance. Besides, the products that make it to the drug store shelf are those that are (a) easy to culture, and (b) profitable. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  15. Alan Sidlo

Registered

the approach i've been taking is to attempt to satiate all of the members, offending or otherwise, instead of doing battle with friend and foe. everybody has different preferences, eating habits, and diet limitations, so working within these limitations is vital to the therapy's success. the idea is that by taking the stress for survival away from the mix, the bacterial community won't wind up competing for resources. enzymes are key to encouraging the production of short-chain fatty acid (scfa) and all can be sourced from nature.

John Brunner likes this.